What's new

Researching "lost" films & TV question? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

I've been trying to research a tv movie that according to IMDB is mostly "lost." There is scant information on wikipedia and google, but I did get a synopsis and credit list. I'm trying to pursue tracking down sound some information. Mainly, because I'm curious if it's the movie I saw when I was a chlld, but didn't get the name of film. Vague recollections of what was going down in the movie, but I turned the channel and missed the ending/explanation, and came back to the ending credits which had an ominous tone.

Does anyone have any clues to how I can continue my research, when IMDB and wikipedia fail?

--james

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
You'd be surprised what the membership here might be able to tell you. Can you give us what information you have and mybe someone can help?

(I'm not sure why, but when people ask questions like this the movie usually turns out, more likely than not, to be MEPHISTO WALTZ for some reason, lol) I'm kidding but you never know what you can find here!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for the ABC tv movie Distant Early Warning. It premiered in 1975 and starred Anthony Geary, Mary Frann, and a few others. It's supposed to be "lost" film, and was last seen overseas in 1999. It dealt with a group of extraterrestrials doing some sort of psychological tests on a group of scientists at an isolated scientific lab up north. Back then, this mid seventies ABC telemovies that aired late at night, were recorded on video, and they sort of had a soap opera/cheesy look to them. I'm trying to track down this film, because I missed the ending, or explanation at the time. I caught some fragments when I was turning the channel, and I'm curious to what the main plot and resolution was. Many of these suspense films were "lost" and only aired once in the states. Anyway, information has been scarce. Any help would be appreciated.

Three

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Distant Early Warning was on ABC's Wide World of Mystery (Hmm. I wonder where they got that title from?) I also posted about this in February 2021. Sorry, I forgot. But I've been trying to kick myself up to do some research.

---jthree

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Anyone ever heard of a 1970s/early 80s TV movie titled "Desperate Voyage" starring Christopher Plummer? As far as I know it was only shown once or twice back then, and has never been released on any home video format.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I am still trying to find any information about Columbia's "The Victors" which appears to be lost except in edited and pan and scan foreign issues.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Tom & usrunnr, may I ask about the interest in your lost films. Mine is primarily nostalgia, and trying to figure out if that's the tv film I had dim memories of. Just curious.
--jthree

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Many films end up in legal limbo, you might try researching who the author was, especially if the film was based on a book.
Haven't had any success finding any material on an author. Tried writing to one of the surviving actors to see if he had any information. Probably won't lead to anything. But I thought I might try. It may take awhile, one of the surviving actors lives overseas.

--jthree

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
"While this was broadcast in the United States on ABC as "The Wide World of Mystery", the series was produced and broadcast in the UK under the title "Thriller". The creator was Brian Clemens who earlier created the 1960's hit, "The Avengers" television series. "

This was listed information on IMDB, maybe the rights belong to the creator, and or the estate of,
that could mean the entire series may be held in legal limbo.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Thriller is available on DVD (Region 2 and PAL) in the UK from Network:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks