What's new

Request to WB RE: The Fountain (1 Viewer)

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Dear Warner Bros,
I am anxiously awaiting the release of Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain on DVD. I loved the theatrical version that I saw, but I also know that the film was originally rated R (I still have the original trailer on my computer that shows the R rating & was confused when I started seeing posters stating it was PG-13). According the mpaa.org the film was edited for re-rating rather than being appealed to a lower rating. Please release both versions of the film on DVD & please have them both be in the film's proper widescreen ratio rather than releasing a full-screen only theatrical version & a widescreen "unrated version" or however it would be marketed. Even if both versions are released on separate DVDs, if they are both OAR I would purchase them. I would like to see Darren Aronofsky's original cut, but also be able to see the film as I saw it in theaters. It would be even better if you were to release them film with seamless branching or as a 2-disc set with both cuts. The film was not even 100 minutes long, so it should not be a problem to seamless branch it onto 1 disc. This was one of my favorite films of 2006 & I believe it deserves a great DVD.

Thank you.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
And while we're at it, how about an audio commentary? Warners seems to be forgetting them for their new titles.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Aronofsky is anxious to have this project become a Criterion release, hence his hesitance behind recording a commentary for the initial studio DVD. Unfortunately for him Warner’s official policy is to not license its films to outside parties.

Aronofsky has said that the theatrical cut is the final cut and the version he stands behind. The ratings issue still confuses me. Depending where you read about it online you’ll get that the film was altered through editing or simply was appealed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm david's first post goes off the page without the screen scrolling over.
it actually goes out of the frame border.
like a comic strip that goes out of the structured frame.

anyway, so david does that mean the film was not changed just the rating was changed.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I don't understand what Warner has against commentaries all of a sudden. It's very disappointing to find out there won't be one on the discs, I greatly enjoyed the commentaries for Pi & Requiem.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It may be a matter of cost. The Fountain's boxoffice was less than stellar, and the suits at Warner might simply not see the point of adding cost to a DVD that will likely be a niche product in their opinion. That being said, I am a fan of Aronofsky and will likely be picking this up.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Agreed although it is perhaps slightly more accurate to say 'cut of the revenue' is the key issue.

Doesn't cost much to set up a commentary the issue is the cut of revenue the director gets for the commentary. That's why studios have been selling to versions of popular DVDs, slim and loaded versions. This allows the studio to make their revenue on the slim version and significicantly mark up the other product so that they still get their cut. As long as they have their cut they have no problem that the director gets a taste.

Problem is on the smaller releases, the studios don't see the economics of putting out two versions and the retailer REALLY doesn't want to see two versions due to limited shelf space.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Yes, the film was not "edited for rerating." One line of dialogue was added and the order of two scenes was switched, and the MPAA decided to give it a PG-13 instead. No violence or other objectionable content was removed at all.

Regards,
Nathan

(source: Aranofsky's marathon interviews at CHUD)

Vincent-P

Second Unit
On the issue of no commentary due to cost, we're not just talking about The Fountain here. What about Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Superman Returns, The Departed, Batman Begins, Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire (even though Mike Newell stated he recorded one), The Polar Express, Phantom Of The Opera, Syriana, and Troy? Those were all pretty successful films from directors who typically do commentaries & none of the discs had them.

I mean, The Wicker Man remake was supposedly not successful at all, but that still had a commentary, so why can't The Fountain? Was it just because LaBute pushed for one?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Unfortunately, it seems to be a policy or whatever at Warners that no new titles have commentaries. Nothing on Batman Begins, Superman Returns, The Departed, V for Vendetta, the Harry Potter films, Poseidon, 16 Blocks, Firewall, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Many of the directors behind these films have been willing to record commentaries for their movies in the past so it seems odd that none pop up on these releases. Blood Diamond appears to have a commentary on its upcoming release, but I'm hoping this gets brought up at the upcoming Warner chat either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks