What's new

Repost from Avia thread (setup with XBR) (1 Viewer)

DaveZee

Auditioning
Below is a repost (no responses) from the bottom of the previous Avia thread.

===========

I just went through video calibration with Avia on my XBR400 and have a few questions:

1. For white level ("picture" on the XBR), I could never get the top square to blume, even at highest white setting. Is this possible, or did I do something "wrong" or did I likely blume without recognizing it?

2. It's not clear when proper white level is set. The DVD says it's the moment when the lower half of the test screen turns from a shade of gray to white. Seems rather subjective, so how does one determine this precise moment?

3. My XBR has three additional settings that weren't mentioned in Avia: (i) Color Temp (mine is set to Neutral), (ii) Velocity Modulation (mine is set to High) and (iii) DRC-MF (mine is set to Interlaced which the manual says is correct for moving pictures). After finalizing the traditional settings, should I just play around with the others to see effect? Anyone have recommendations?

4. If I want different settings for dark room, day lit room and artificially lit room, I intend to modify the "Standard", "Movie" and "Vivid" modes unless this is not recommended.

5. My settings don't have numbers next to the ticks, so it's almost impossible to set at one level, experiment a little and then quickly go back to the original settings. I have to start over. Any better suggestions?

Many thanks.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
My settings don't have numbers next to the ticks, so it's almost impossible to set at one level, experiment a little and then quickly go back to the original settings. I have to start over. Any better suggestions?
You could use little pieces of tape attatched to your screen to mark the position of ticks (Gaffer’s or painter’s tape works best as it won’t leave a residue). Then you could easily return the ticks back to a predetermined position (a tape mark).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks