What's new

ReplayTV - RF or Composite???? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just bought/hooked up my ReplayTV. I am using the Component out to my tv and I have a Digital Cable box. Here's a diagram of both scenarios below: ReplayTV Scenarios #1 & #2

Scenarios #1
I am taking the cable source (RF) and I'm going into the D.Cable Box first, then came out the D.Cable Box's RF and connected it to the RF input on the ReplayTV. Finally, I'm going to the TV via a Component Cable. The ReplayTV menus look amazingly clear so I know there isn't any problems with my component connection, but the cable connection looks slightly fuzzy.

Scenarios #2
I've also done this route. The cable source (RF) into the D.Cable Box first, then I came out of the D.Cable Box via the composite (red, white, & yellow RCA cable) and went into the ReplayTV via the composite input, then I go to the TV through the Component cable. The image looks EXACTLY the same as scenario #1.

I figured Scenario #2 wouldn't look too clean, but I figured Scenario #1 would look better, but it doesn't.

My component cable is a brand new Monster cable. My RF cables are basic cables that I got from the cable company. I know they are all ok because I've checked each one by only using them with my cable box and the signal looks fine for each one. My Digital Cable has always looked great, in fact, when I switch between the output of the Digital Cable box and the ReplayTV, there's an amazing difference in quality. YOu can especially notice it in the station ID logos (in the bottom right of the screen).

Thoughts??????

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Bumping my thread
Now that I'm a bit more familiar with the ReplayTV process, could my slightly blurred tv image be because of the compression used in the ReplayTV? I assume I'm correct in thinking that the signal I am watching is being recorded/buffered so that I can do the pause and rewind live TV thing. I also assume that this function records in high quality. I have my default recording set to high...

Is this blurry effect just something that comes with this sort of technology?

Anyone????

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You're most likely watching buffered data, I see the same lack of quality watching in 'real time'.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

Excuse the dumb question, When you say 'real time' do you mean the 'live' signal (i.e. when the LIVE graphic is displayed in the lower right hand corner)? Am I correct in assuming that the LIVE signal is still buffered (by a few seconds)? And if so...is there a way to not watch the buffered way?

It makes sense that I am watching a slightly buffered signal (for the whole ability to pause and rewind), but I just want to know if I can watch the signal without it buffering? I realize I won't be able to pause or rewind, but my Digital Cable doesn't have Component and Optical outputs (like the ReplayTV does) and I want to be able to watch tv using these connections.

If the answer is "no, I can't" than I'm fine enough to watch the RF output of my cable box. What I've done is split the output of my cable box and ran one RF to the TV (so I can bypass the ReplayTV and watch the cable box directly). And ran the other RF to the ReplayTV, where I then come out the component connection. New ReplayTV setup Diagram

Which is fine for me at the moment, unless there's a way to clean up the ReplayTV signal?

p.s. The reason why I want to bypass the ReplayTV altogether and not use the ReplayTV's RF out is because I don't like the delay when I change channels...When I'm watching tv normally, I just want to be able to use the digital cable box directly. (Hopefully that made sense) :)

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
I think it just assumes you WANT to buffer the data always (so you can pause live TV, etc). It is about 3 seconds behind truly LIVE broadcasting.

There's no way to disable this that I know of.

As far as the delay, I've just gotten used to surfing the channel grid, and THEN going to a program I want to watch. I think it's much more efficient myself.

Andy_SB

Agent
Mark, I have an older Replay, but I'll answer with the way my unit works.

Yes, when you are watching "live" TV, it is buffered by about a second or two. You'll notice this if you turn the same channel on in another room - the sound coming from each room will not be in sync.

The unit does "buffer" at the highest possible quality. On most channels, I can't tell any difference between the "buffered" picture and direct connections on my system, however, I have regular cable and only a 27" analog TV. There are limitations to the recording compression used by the Replay so it's not entirely unusual for you to see some softening of the picture through the unit, especially if you have a nice/large TV.

On my unit, there is no way to watch "unbuffered" TV, as you put it, because you're correct in surmising that it's necessary to do this for the pause/instant replay type features.

So, if you want to watch "unbuffered" TV, you have to bypass the Replay. :frowning:

As for the delay in changing channels, most people get used to that. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all because I don't have to channel surf since I always have recorded material to watch, and even if I don't, the Channel Guide is a very useful tool.

Good luck, and if you have more questions, check out http://replayfaq.leavensfamily.com/ - a very good source of info. :)

- Andy

Edit: Chad covered most of what I said, much more succinctly I might add. :)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
p.s. The reason why I want to bypass the ReplayTV altogether and not use the ReplayTV's RF out is because I don't like the delay when I change channels...When I'm watching tv normally, I just want to be able to use the digital cable box directly. (Hopefully that made sense)
I'm in the same camp and thus also split the output of my cable box so that I can watch TV and channel surf without the delays that the ReplayTV unit (5040) introduces. When I want to pause live TV, then I'll change my TV input appropriately.

As for PQ, I haven't noticed much of a difference on a 10yr old 35" analog TV between RF feed from ReplayTV vs RF feed directly from cable box. I have tried the composite and S-Video outputs (given analog cable input), and I was not pleased with the S-Video. Although the picture was smoother, it was too soft and muted the colors too much vs composite. In any case, I'm using RF out, at least while the unit is married to my 35" TV.

Doug

David Judah

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, the Replay units only send progressive component output for the menu system and the picture viewer, not for the channels.

When I called Sonic Blue's customer support number for clarification on that issue, they told me they might offer an upgrade sometime later this year.

DJ

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks all for the info. I guess I've got mine setup the best possible way.

There is a definite difference in quality on my 46" (16x9) Mitsubishi RPTV between the ReplayTV signal and the direct Cable box signal, but by splitting the RF connection, I guess I have a choice on how to watch tv.

Thanks again.
-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks