What's new
World Wide Stereo

Replacing old receiver (1 Viewer)

mcintire21

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I have HT-S5100 onkyo system. Here's the link with all the specs http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S5100&class=Systems&p=s

The receiver is the HT-R560 and I'm looking to replace it with the TX-SR508.

Here's the link to the 508 http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR508

The speakers in the system are 130W and the 508 is only 80W. I've read a few comments saying you can damage one or the other with a weaker receiver. Will I be ok using this receiver with these speakers. I found a deal on the 508 and cant afford to get any of the more powerful receivers right now. I dont play anything very loud so I wouldn't think there would be a problem but I just wanted to ask the experts.

Thanks

728x90

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It won't be a problem at all. Matching power numbers between a receiver and speakers is over-rated. Distortion is what usually damages speakers, not power. Besides, regardless of what the specs say the power output of 560 and 508 are going to just about the same anyway. Onkyo's over-states the power output of their htib receivers in order to keep up with the way over-stated power ratings of htib's from Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
To amplify (heh) what Gene said, speaker damage works two ways, exceeding peek speaker capacity and distortion.

If you try and pump too many decibles through a speaker it can be damaged. That's the max value that the speaker manufacturer usually puts on the speaker (80W in your case). Unfortunately, it's hard to do much with that value, as the receivers almost always provide average output (the 80W in your case). But the maximum output of a receiver can be much higher than the average. The good news is that unless you typically play your music so loud that it hurts, you're not likely to hit the speaker's max capacity.

On the flip side is underpowered amps. If you to play something loud and the receiver (not the speaker) can't provide enough power to hit the volume you've requested (say during a peak burst in the music) then the amp will clip - it produces a non-smooth sound wave. Because of the non-smoothness, this clipping can hurt the speaker even if it's not over the max output of the speaker. Again, most standard receivers made these days (including the 508) will not clip at normal listening levels, so you're fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks