Removing cat allergens - do ionizers work??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, May 16, 2002.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

I'm just wondering if people have any experience with these ionizer gadgets that purportedly take care of moss, cat dander, et al We're considering moving and this place used to have a cat. The owner said just get an ionizer.

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'm with Bill on this one...an ionizer will do little or nothing to stop cat allergens. The best you can do is vacuum as often as possible, and wipe down the walls, ceiling, and furniture.

As a professional and full-time cat allergist, the above is the only thing that would make a dent against cat allergies. Unfortunately, it would be impossible for cat owners to make this accommodation for allergic visitors.

Maybe wait a couple of years, and get one of those new-fangled genetically-altered cats that are allergen free?

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

If you are really sensitive.. you may want to check with your Dr. Perhaps he/she could prescribe something at least until the place airs out to tolerable levels... I think they have shots that last for a week or two. I have no idea how long it would take... since I own a cat. But, a friend of mine who will occasionally come over to watch a movie or football will take his alergy medicine before he comes over and he's just fine.

It's hard to find friends that are willing to take drugs just to hang out with you.... or maybe he just wants my beer.

5. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

The ionizers I've seen aren't large enough to put a cat in.

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Don't those things generate ozone? (Ionizers, not cats[​IMG] )

7. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

If you are very sensitive to pet allergies, I would recommend that you look at another house. Cat dander gets everywhere; airborne, on the walls, in refrigerator coils.

When I was looking for a house, I told my realtor under no circumstances would I purchase a house where the previous owner had pets.