What's new

Removing cat allergens - do ionizers work?? (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I'm just wondering if people have any experience with these ionizer gadgets that purportedly take care of moss, cat dander, et al We're considering moving and this place used to have a cat. The owner said just get an ionizer.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
The owner said just get an ionizer.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's wishful thinking. An ionizer might cut down on some tiny fraction of airborne matter, but every single time you take a step in that apartment, you are going to raise more dander. And even if you shampoo the rugs, steam clean the drapes, and scrub the walls and all exposed surfaces, you will still have cat dander floating around.
If it's a real problem for you, look elsewhere.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Bill on this one...an ionizer will do little or nothing to stop cat allergens. The best you can do is vacuum as often as possible, and wipe down the walls, ceiling, and furniture.

As a professional and full-time cat allergist, the above is the only thing that would make a dent against cat allergies. Unfortunately, it would be impossible for cat owners to make this accommodation for allergic visitors.

Maybe wait a couple of years, and get one of those new-fangled genetically-altered cats that are allergen free?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
If you are really sensitive.. you may want to check with your Dr. Perhaps he/she could prescribe something at least until the place airs out to tolerable levels... I think they have shots that last for a week or two. I have no idea how long it would take... since I own a cat. But, a friend of mine who will occasionally come over to watch a movie or football will take his alergy medicine before he comes over and he's just fine.

It's hard to find friends that are willing to take drugs just to hang out with you.... or maybe he just wants my beer.

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
If you are very sensitive to pet allergies, I would recommend that you look at another house. Cat dander gets everywhere; airborne, on the walls, in refrigerator coils.

When I was looking for a house, I told my realtor under no circumstances would I purchase a house where the previous owner had pets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks