What's new

Remote for HTPC (1 Viewer)

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
I am looking into getting a remote for my HTPC, well really all I want it for is for the IR receiver and to learn into my MX500. I want basic controls mainly pause and play but being to negotiate menus using the enter key and arrow keys would be nice also. I am running windows xp pro and use windows media 10 or zoom player for video playback. Are there any good cheap IR remotes that will do this, looks and feel of the remote don't matter since I will using my current remote. Will I have any issues learning the functions into my MX500? I already have a wireless keyboard and mouse but they are rf and the range isn't great and too big and bulky for watching a movie or something.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I was about to recommend the Microsoft Media Center Remote (comes with IR receiver), but I think it only works with MCE2005, and not with regular Windows XP - the drivers for the IR receiver is only bundled with MCE2005. Unless somebody found it separately?

There is also a third party remote that can be found here: http://www.usbuirt.com/

It is an IR receiver AND transmitter - overkill, admittedly. There might be a receiver-only version of it, but I don't know for sure. (EDIT: Nope, there is isn't.)

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
The ATI remote wonder is one of my favorites because it is RF which means that you don't need line of site to the reciever, which in turn means that you don't need to set up any unusual looking IR pucks.

Something else of interest is that there a few ways to use your ppc/palm as a remote for your computer which is something I keep meaning to get into messing with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks