What's new

Refurbished Receivers? (1 Viewer)

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen some great prices on some Factory Spec'd Refurbised receivers. Is that something worthwhile or am I just better off getting a brand new one.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My first HT receiver was a factory refurbished Onkyo 828THX. It was great and is still going strong in my brothers' house. My bedroom receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D606 which I got refurbished for a song (like $160 - built in DD demod). I think that refurbished is a gret way to go as long as you are not hung up on always having the "latest and greatest".

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
On ebay I have seen some newer (refurbished) receivers for a great price. What exactly goes into refurbishing a receiver?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Refurbished or B-Stock means that the item was returned by a customer who bought it. The unit was checked by factory trained and certified techs, and if any repair was needed, it was done. The unit is sold as refurbished typically with an abbreviated warrantee, though sometimes the warrantee is the same as brand new. Sometimes these units have cosmeti blemishes. Sometimes they are exactly like brand new. Sometimes they are broken out of box, sometimes they are like new. I've had one refurbished piece broken out of box but I had it fixed under warrantee and it's been a stellar performer since.

Junie

Agent
Where can you find refurbished receivers. Ebay has a lot of private owners with equip for sell.

PEACE!!!!!

Larry L

Agent
I recently noticed that HK is selling refurbbed AVR 320's fof $497 plus shipping. Seems like a pretty good deal but I am a bit concerned about warranty issues. Does anyone know what HK's policy is on warranting refurbbed units? I guess I could go to their site to find out but, frankly, I'm lazy ;)
Larry

Erik J

Grip
HK warranties the refurbed receivers sold on their website for 2 years :emoji_thumbsup: I just picked up an AVR-7000 there and really like it so far. Some posts on audioreview indicate that HK puts all the latest fixes into their refurb units. I haven't run into any of the reported problems on the 7000 yet.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I have a refurbished Sony V333es that I got at a great price from the Sony Factory Outlets. Full warranty and new accs. The downside is the fact that you have to have a store by you. The closest one to Sarasota I think is in S.C. I think you can find some info here: www.sony.com/outlets
Brandon

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
"The latest fixes" is a cool deal with refurbs. My first refurbished unit was an Onkyo 828. This machine (and most similar vintage Onkyos) had a notorious problem with the volume control that I read about all over the internet. Since my unit was factory refurbished the problem had been fixed.

Larry L

Agent
Wayne, The problem with this HT hobby/passion/insanity is that there is always a better component out there for "another $100 or so". Where does the madness end???? All I can say is, its a good thing I'm not longer married! At least I don't have the added pressure of justifying throwing more money into this bottomless pit to someone else
Larry:D

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
You can get the HK-520 at eCost.com for $628 I believe...

I plan to pick one up toward the end of summer.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks