What's new

Refurbished and Used, Any Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Because of a few hiccups in my personal life, I find myself in the market for a new HT setup. Unfortunatley I'm on a slim budget so I don't have a fortune to spend. Thanks to some recommendations in another thread I've decided to go with an HK as my receiver as they sound like the best bang for the buck under $500.

My question is, what do you all think of buying refurbished equipment? Or used? Harmon Audio has a few nice receivers in my price range but I'm a bit leery about buying refurbished equipment just because I have no experience with it. Any reason to stay away?

As long as I'm posting let me ask opinions as well. would I be better off going with a refurbished AVR-225 for $298 or a new AVR-230 for $379?

And I know this is the wrong forum but I was thinking of pairing the reciever with either a set of JBL NSP-1 speakers or Energy Take 5.2. Any thughts there either?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
You can reduce the risk of buying refurbished or used by making sure the products have a warranty and where you purchase has a return policy.
Persons, especially around here, are always upgrading which puts a lot of very good equipmetn in the market. On the speakers, either the Energys or JBLs would be a great system. IMHO, speakers are a little more tricky to purchase used or refurbed but with a warranty and at a good price, still could be worthy of a try.

Clark F

Agent
Having read these boards for a while, the general consensus is buying used or refurbished receivers/amps is pretty safe. However, folks are really talking about used higher end stuff. I suspect it is a little more risky for lower end stuff.
Personnaly, in your situation, I would go for a better refurbished model as long as it has a warrenty, preferably a 1 year warrenty.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a number of refurb items from Harman Audio, this spring, through their Ebay auctions. They come with the full warrantee and if there is an initial problem, HA will pay shipping both ways. The receivers (AVR310 & 3470) were in excellent shape, and was hard to tell that they were ever used before. The Infinity Interlude speakers (1 pair IL30s, 2 pair IL10s, and one IL25 center), appeared to be brand new. I couldn't find any indication they were ever used. CD and DVD players did have a number of light scratches in the lexon front face plate. I recommend the Ebay store over the HA store, because you can get the items for less.

JohnS

Josh Varghese

Stunt Coordinator
I completely second JohnSer's comments. I too have purchased a few products through their E-bay store and their customer service is outstanding!

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
If the new silver color doesn't bother you, I'd take the new 230 for $379 over the refurb 225 for $298.

HK Exclusive Logic 7
50 watts per channel to all six channels
65 watts per channel in stereo mode
AKM 192KHz/24 bit DACs
Triple crossover system for bass management
Six/eight channel direct inputs
7.1 surround pre-amp outputs
On screen display
2 Component Video inputs/1 output
Multi-brand remote control

230 has triple crossover while 225 is fixed at 100hz, you get 7.1 preouts, 6.1 processing, DTS-ES, DD-EX and component video switching. It's a much better feature set.

Now if you don't think you'll EVER use the new features or 6.1 processing you may want to save $$ and go for the 225. But if it were me, I'd get the 230.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I would look at the pioneer elite models on ebay, and go with some fluance speakers for cost cutting. they are great for the price. I have a pioneer receiver and I love it. way better than alot of others for cheaper!

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the same position as you a few days ago. I was going to go the refurb route too, but ended up getting the H/K 325(new with factory warranty) shipped for $475.
Mike Allen

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I'll be selling a used, near mint Yamaha DSP-A1 integrated amp soon (as soon as I get it back from Tweeter after I drop it off tomorrow for a warranty cleaning/once over).

This 55lb amp is the sexy Champagne model and has been used as a pre/pro for the last year. Oodles of power for a single box and has a conservative 110w rating for 5 channels. I'm just looking to turn it quick...... $550. plus shipping from MA and it is yours. Again, near mint--looks as new, no blemishes at all.

Perhaps it will fit your current budget.

BOK

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Brian OK, I wish.:) $550, though, is more than half my current budget. Did I mention I had run into some hiccups?:D Anyway good luck man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks