What's new

Refurb quality???? (1 Viewer)

Mike:Corb

Stunt Coordinator
I am about to purchase a HK 325 off ebay directly from HK. It is a refurb with a full warranty. I am a perfectionist and am wondering if this thing will look like junk or how bad the scratches will be. Also, I plan on hooking this up to a ventriloquist VT-12 with STF-2 sub. The 525 is not much more off ebay and am wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I have never purchased a HK refurbished product (although do own there products). I know people who buy HK refurbs and they say they look brand new, and may perhaps have one little ding on it but nothing noticeable. I wouldn't worry about it being dented or anything.

The 525 would be a nice upgrade if you are willing to spend the money on it, especially the more amplification...

Stunt Coordinator
thanks chris, has anyone here purchased a HK refurb, if so, what do you think of the cosmetics of it. I think I am going to buy it no matter what, I just don't want any noticable imperfections.

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased an HK AVR-225 from Soundcity.com

It had a small scratch on the rear panel, I assume where they took it apart for repair.

The front, top and sides were perfect. It was factory sealed in a great shipping box and also had the plastic protector over the shiny front panel. All accessories were included and the operation is flawless.

I would check a few other places before buying your AVR-325 off eBay. This is purchasing from HarmanAudio.com which is direct from HK but other places are cheaper and you still get the same product and warranty.

Buying a refurb HK receiver is great since you get a full 2yr warranty, others like Denon offer a much shorter one.

Check Soundcity.com PCMall.com and eCost.com if they have stock you will probably save money. Also check harmankardon.com for other authorized dealers.

After my experience I would definately buy another HK refurb.

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the feedback mark, I will check out the other stores. I had just thought off ebay would be cheapest, plus it would be shipped directly from harman kardon. Harman Kardon is the one who sells the items on ebay. Anyone else have any feedback or any place to the the HK325 refurb for cheap. Thanks again Mark and Chris.

Stunt Coordinator
also, I just checked the 3 stores Mark mentioned and the cheapest was ecost for $415, and off ebay directly from Harman Kardon you can get it for around $350-$370 depending on the perticular auction. What do you guys think?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
If you are interested in purchasing the HK AVR-325, I'm not sure what kind of prices you are seeing on Ebay. However, I was at Costco this afternoon and they are selling new ones for $449.00.

Mark Krawiec

Agent
Hey Wayne,

Did you happen to see if Costco had the 525? I let my membership expire but would renew for a good deal on a 525!

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
I like factory refurbs. I got my Onkyo TXDS575 from Soundcity.com for $299, and it was perfect. You can at least be sure that a refurb unit has been tested, although there may be some lingering fear of a "lemon" unit. Mine has worked perfectly, (that model could use a bit more oomph, IMO, but for $299......).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Actually, just the H/K AVR-325 was displayed at my local Costco - and none of the other models.

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
Mike:

Check HK's website for a list of authorized dealers and then check all of them for prices.

The unit I got from Soundcity.com was factory sealed from HK so it would be the same as getting it from them.

I'm not sure eCost.com is an authorized dealer, if they or anyone else is not listed on HK's site I would contact HK to make sure they will honor the warranty.

The 2yr factory warranty is one reason I thought an HK refurb was a great deal but it wouldn't be so good if they didn't honor it.

I have not seen HK making a fuss about warranty issues like Denon does but if it were me I'd want to know before I purchased.

RandyMathis

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my 525 off of Ebay from Harmon Kardon. I just got it in the mail yesterday. I have not tried it out but cosmetically it is near flawless. For some reason they included used batteries with it. I guess they refurbed it and put everything back into the box and shipped it. The batteries were rolling around in the box when I opened it yesterday.

I'll let you know if it works well but it may be a while. It is for my basement and I have not finished remodeling.

Jon_Skiffington

Auditioning
I also picked up a refurbed 525 off of Ebay for $465 ($500 shipped) from HK.

Quality wise, it sounds perfect. Looks wise, I did a very close inspection (took a flashlight to it and everything) of the exterior, and found a couple minor scratches and scuff marks, but nothing you can notice from over a foot away.

All in all, quite a deal, especially with a two year warranty. Came with both remotes, batteries, antennae, etc.

Jon

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Randy, Jon,

If you were shorted any of the accessory items or the batteries, HA will send new items right out to you. I received new batteries that were loose, but in the zip-lock bag with the other accessories.

I noticed a small circle with an "X" through it, near rhe serial number. This is probably the "refurb" indicator.

JohnS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks