What's new

reference volume? (1 Viewer)

Lane Michaels

Auditioning
I seen poeple talk about reaching "reference volume" quite a few times on this forum and Im wondering what exactly it is and how do I know when I have reached it.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
reference volume is usually 85dB; sometimes 75dB is used.

when people talk about it, what they're usually talking about is the master volume level setting on their receiver/pre/pro that's required to produce the said 85dB reference volume from a special test tone from their "reference" speaker (usually, but not always, the front left) when measured at the user's normal listening position. it's also usually used in a discussion of the other speakers level settings in the receiver and subwoofer settings in the receiver and/or sub that are required to produce reference volume from those speakers at the listening spot.

the receiver/pre/pro master volume, speaker level, and subwoofer level settings that are required to achieve this reference volume are completely different for everyone and depend upon numerous variables including (but not limited to) amplifier power, room size, speaker efficiency, distance to the speakers, etc.. my point being, you can only figure out what settings produce reference volume for you by using a calibration disc and spl meter.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Sometimes all they try to say is: "terribly loud". :)

Because it's not something you normally want to listen to.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks