What's new

Red Push issue going critical at the SPot (1 Viewer)

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
For anyone with a Mit who has been concerned about red push in the color decoder, and the uncooperativeness of Mitsubishi to adequately address the situation, you will find that things are going critical at the Home Theater Spot Forum, Mitsubishi section.
The Home Theater SPot, as some of you know, has been in the forefront of the red push battle since the first HD ready sets were put out by Mit and found to have the color decoder skewed to lots more red at a given color intensity level than green or blue. This renders green and blue way into the background instead of vivid and stunning, like they should be, when fleshtones have been used to set color level for accurate, via the user color level setting.
Using the standard VE/AVIA blue filter test for color and tint makes the blues and greens stunning like they should be, but causes the fleshtones to be overly ruddy and sunburned-looking. At which time you have to crank your color level back down again to restore accurate fleshtones, which again renders greens and blues to background status, making them look blah instead of vivid.
Chapter 8 of Shakespeare in Love is a classic example, and an excellent test for the presence of red push. How to do this is elaborated on in several red push discussions there in the Mitsubishi section.
This color decoder was available for realignment to accurate in the service menu of the first two years of model production, but was shut out last year, to realignment via service menu, ostensibly due to user fiddling around in the service menu.
Yet they have done nothing to change the decoder back to accurate, in place of this shutout. The red push is alive and well, even on the brand new x9 series.
I'd like to invite all interested parties to participate in the current discussions there.
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...ubb=forum&f=10
Mr Bob
------------------
Robert P. Jones
Image Perfection
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
[email protected]
510-278-4247
www.imageperfection.com
[Edited last by Robert P. Jones on July 16, 2001 at 02:41 PM]

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
Hello Mr Bob,
thanks for poppin in. its been a while since i visited the spot. i built the DIY red push attenuator for my component inputs that (i think) yeringto came up with and it helped alot. the last i heard Paul C. was coming up with some kind of hardware/software solution. is this still an option or has it gone further than that? anyway, i'll go check it out. thanks for the heads up.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
ok, ive been reading over there for more than an hour and i think i found the topic to which you refer to...
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=10&t=004921
btw..your link points to the whole page of topics there.
could you save me a few more hours of searching and reading with a summary of whats going on. if the topic you refer to is in my link here, i get the picture (certainly no pun intended). its a pretty sad situation going on with mits and the saddest part is we mits owners really love our sets and would love them even more if we could get a red push fix. maybe this is a lil simplistic, but all it would take is a button somewhere we could push to get out of showroom torch/red/pink mode. but thats your job eh?, or does mits even want you to *have* a job? oh, and whats the deal on the black box? can you enlighten me on it please?

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
Sorry, the smallest, most concise description I could come up with is what is printed as my post. The rest is, quite literally, history. The page I sent you to has 100 pages on it.
Best way to trim it down is to do a search for specific material, such as red push.
One of the best threads about it is the one entitled, "We have heard back from Mit re. our petition letter", from a month or 3 ago.
The Black Box is still in the works. Entry has been achieved, now the interfacing for the normal type tech is being worked on, with all the concerns about liability and people possibly getting hurt from being inside their sets now centerstage, along with foolfroofedness re. computer integration, which is essential.
In its present form it can be used by only the most adept at technical skills and computer geekiness. Only a few people possess both those skills to the degree required for its use right now, and I'm not one of them. I'm going to wait for the software to be fine-tuned to foolproofedness, my skills at computers still being in the "fool" category...
Stay tuned, and keep using the attenuator until something breaks.
Mr Bob
------------------
Robert P. Jones
Image Perfection
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
[email protected]
510-278-4247
www.imageperfection.com
[Edited last by Robert P. Jones on July 17, 2001 at 10:07 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks