What's new

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyone listened to it yet? I like the first two tracks that I've heard so far, but curious if the rest of the album holds up? Thanks.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
If you liked the first two tracks, I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the album. It's a very 'listenable' album, and quite melodic. If you are expecting something from the BSSM or Mother's Milk era, you'll probably be dissapointed, RHCP haven't been a 'funk' band since then and this sound is more along the lines of what was being hinted at with Californication. In fact it almost sames like the recordings from the same sessions :).
I'm not a huge RHCP fan but I've had this in the car for a little while and it's growing on me, certainly different from the early stuff but not bad all the same.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I listened to the tracks on their website a few weeks back when they did a track a day. I didn't care for it, but it wasn't too bad.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I love their old stuff, but the new stuff is not too bad. I don't have Californication, but I have One Hot Minute and Blood Sugar Sex Magic, which I consider the "new" stuff, and I was happy them both, overall. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I wish you had californication, I didn't like that album, and don't care for the new one, they're kind of similar IMO.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The original recipe died with mr. funky guitar a long time ago. He took the secret recipe to his grave. It seems like the current Peppers are of the shake and bake variety.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
To me this is RCHP's best album yet. Its very musical.

IMO, its best listened to on the home stereo. It gives out very comfortable, smooth sound.

A review I read earlier hit the nail on the head saying, "Californication was just foreplay."

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
The original recipe died with mr. funky guitar a long time ago. He took the secret recipe to his grave. It seems like the current Peppers are of the shake and bake variety.
is it that, or that anthony isn't on (as many?) drugs as he once was?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
But at least Anthony is stil here. :D We don't need to lose any more musicians to drugs. Some of the energy and/or chemistry from the original band isn't there, but I still have fun to listening to the newer stuff.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I really don't know if anthony is on drugs still or not. Heroin is tough to kick and he's struggled with it for years, I'm willing to bet he still is :frowning:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On my first listen right now...despite what Jheran said, it is still not what I expected. Not bad for a first listen. Rather slower than I was expecting. I will have to give it some time, but I think it will grow on me.
IMO, its best listened to on the home stereo. It gives out very comfortable, smooth sound.
Good call there, it is a very well recorded album. I do the majority of my listening at home. It's kind of just background noise in the car. I let the old "theater on wheels" go with my last car. :D

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I bought this one the day it came out. I've been slow to like it, but it's definitely growing on me.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I saw the original Chili Peppers in Gabby's a small club on the "U.T. strip" in Knoxville. It must of been '81 or '82...?They were touring to promote their second album, the one produced by George Clinton, BTW.... The bass and guitar player were wearing the Union Jack and American flags as skirts, they switched outfits at some point during the show.:) I don't even know the dead dudes name, but next to Hendrix he's the funkyest guitarist I've ever heard, and the funkyest I have heard live in the flesh. He was one of a kind.
I had only heard their first album and their new material was a real treat! They just shook the building with their extended cover of The Meters JUNGLEMAN and my personal fav, AMERICAN GHOST DANCE. They really rocked on the biggies from their first album too, BABY APPEAL, TRUE MEN DON'T KILL COYOTES, GREEN HEAVEN, and BUCKLE DOWN. I think they pretty much played the lot from their first two albums. YERTLE THE TURTLE became one of my fav's that nite too, I loved the little rap that leads into it. They were enjoying their work and played a long time. I do remember they played BABY APPEAL twice. I was mumbling it's lyrics for days after the show.
The crowd was pretty entertaining too! About half of the lucky 400 were Goths. Not I...:) ! It suffices to say that the 200 white faced, black lipped, very pierced concert-goers were very entertaining to watch too. A whole lotta freaky styley was going on with the band and audience! It's one of my very favourite concert experiences and I've seen a bunch.
I bought MOTHER'S MILK and it was mildly entertaining but the fire was gone for me. The original band made style. The later group sounds far more ordinary to me. I hear them from time to time on U.T.'s student station and I'm relatively unaffected. That's my not so spicey story anyway....

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
but I have One Hot Minute and Blood Sugar Sex Magic, which I consider the "new" stuff
that's when they had dave navarro...have you heard his solo stuff? :thumbsdown:...the "new" chili peppers are more melodic and somber at times, but very upbeat and catchy with songs like "can't stop" and "the zephyr song"...i have always found their albums to grow on me rapidly. this new one has already garnered my :emoji_thumbsup:...i still don't know if it's as good as californication, but very good nonetheless...oh and by the way (:D ), i really like the art on the disc. i think it definitely showcases a post-drug chili peppers, that people might not embrace, seeing as how they're not prancing around on stage with just socks anymore. but maybe all the mayhem and all the antics were part of the drugs in their bloodstream? if that's the case, their new stuff has more significance since it is purely music. this makes me think a lot of the oasis proposition to only continue without drugs and alcohol.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, for what its worth, based on the two back-to-back listens last night I think this might be my favorite RHCP album yet. However, and this is where I'll be donning the asbestos overcoat, I only really liked them with the last album; the earlier ones were just a bit too shouty-funk for me.

So, while it sounds like they may be losing some of you old fans, they are picking up new ones here.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
My favorite of theirs is Blood Sugar...Not as funky as earlier stuff, but it is all still too funky to be radio friendly.
Too me the earlier stuff seems like it would work best in a live setting whereas listening at home the songs just can't pump out the energy enough, and without the energy the songs are not musical enough to keep my attention.
BSSM had the musicality while still retaining their funk.

After BSSM, they struggled with Dave Navarro in place of John on guitars. I purchased One Hot Minute and it just doesn't do it for me.

Californication sounded interesting but everything that was released sounded way too radio-friendly. The funk had left the building.
However I am intrigued by BY THE WAY, because this first radio song seems to have a little more edge to it than anything I heard off of Californication.

With the previous posts I think I will at least have to try to seek out a demo of the album.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was a little disappointed with One Hot Minute also. BSSM is one that I can listen to over and over, while I don't pull OHM out very often. My favorite track of OHM was Flea's "Pea" :D
By the Way certainly is growing on me :emoji_thumbsup:. The energetic funk was what drew me to them originally and I still enjoy the old stuff a lot, but I like the new stuff for what it is, and wasn't hoping for a return to their "roots".

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
However I am intrigued by BY THE WAY, because this first radio song seems to have a little more edge to it than anything I heard off of Californication
by the way is definitely not very edgy at all...in fact, i think they only slip in a few swear words, if any. it is a very melodic and beautiful album, however. i think the chili peppers are still and will always be in their post-drug addiction regret phase. although, i hear that they are already working on new stuff that is back to their "loud and funky" roots. i hope they don't feel pressured or anything, i love the new stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks