What's new

Red Hat Linux Installation Problem (1 Viewer)

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I finally decided to take the plunge and learn Linux. Not only as an alternative to Microsoft but as a way of advancing my skills. But upon attempting installation, I've run into a snag. I downloaded Red Hat 7.3. When I say I downloaded it, I mean I found an ftp site and downloaded the entire directory contained therein which turned out to be 5.81GB.
Here's what I've done so far. I burned the 3 ISO images to CD. Since the Compaq Deskpro 4000 would not boot from a CD, I made a bootable floppy. When I power up the system, the pc recognizes the floppy and begins asking questions about installation. It asks me what language, what type of keyboard, and then here's where I get stuck. It asks me what media contains the installation info, local cd-rom or local hard drive. I select cd-rom and it says "The Red Hat Linux CD Rom was not found in any of the cd-rom drives. Please insert the Red Hat Linux CD Rom and try again." Unfortunately I haven't found anyone who has been able to help me.
So what do I do to get past this? If anyone would like to e-mail regarding this, please use [email protected] or you can contact me via ICQ at 61719049. My current listed e-mail address is in limbo until I get the hosting issue cleared up. Thanks in advance.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
There's one of two possibilities here:

1. The CD drive in your Compaq can't read the CD-Rs. You can verify this by booting into DOS or Windows on the machine and see if you can read the CD.

2. The CD drive is a SCSI drive or other type that the Linux boot floppy doesn't recognize. Being a Compaq Deskpro 4000 (as in proprietary) it wouldn't surprise me. When I installed Mandrake Linux on a home-built SCSI-based machine a couple years ago I couldn't get the boot floppy to recognize the SCSI CD-ROM drive, so I had to install a IDE CD drive to install the Linux. Once Linux was installed on the hard drive it would recognize the SCSI drive.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks