What's new

Recording Music Choice from dtv (1 Viewer)

SalMaglie

Stunt Coordinator
I was over on the HTPC board asking about how I could record the Music Choice channels from Directv to my computer, and I thought I'd drop in here to see if anybody has tried this. I know the dynamic range is compressed on Music Choice, but since this is just for listening on my OEM car stereo, I didn't think it was important to get the best audiophile recording. I've done some 4 hour tapes on my Panasonic hifi VCR and was satisfied with the sound quality which I thought would be adequate for the car. So before I go out and buy a decent sound card, I wanted to see if anybody has done this and if they were satisfied with the results.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've done it and the results are very good. Way better than downloading MP3s. I've got a SoundBlaster Live Value with a Hoontech adapter to give me optical in and out. Recording and editing is handled with CoolEdit. CD creation is handled with EZ CD Creator or Nero.

Since my satellite and PC are in different rooms, I use a two step process with a VCR and a digital audio tape. I can scan six hours of music in about 20 minutes to decide the songs to keep and the songs to dump.

Besides the Music Choice songs, I'll also record MTV Unplugged and some of the DirecTV live concerts.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks