Recording HDTV with JVC HM-DH30000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Aug 6, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

My cable box has every imaginable output, to my awareness. It is the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD. I would like to try recording HD signal to DVHS tape. Does anyone know which output(s) I should feed to my JVC HM-DH30000?

Also, I'm looking at buying DVHS tape. The only tape I can find is Maxell DVHS 300 minutes (5 hours). First, is this 5 hours of top quality? Second, are there other options? Third, my best price thus far is $8.63/unit + shipping.

Please advise.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

It's my impression from reading the review of that deck on the Audio-Video Interiors website that it will only record HD from the Firewire or DVI input on the deck. If your cable box has such an output it might work, otherwise not.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    no cable boxes that Im aware of. For HD recording you will have to link it through a PC or a modified RCA DTC-100 receiver. Hopefully the next generation of HD receivers will have the required jacks.

Gregg

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

That's dissapointing to hear. I do not have such a solution. I wonder how long I'll have to wait for TWCNC & whatever box provider to add the appropriate ports.

I don't have much of a case with TWC though. "Hi, I'm one of two people in your providership citywide that has HD recording capability, please provide the appropriate outputs!".

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

This is another stumbling block with HD. Hollywood doesn't want you to tape HD, and even if they allow taping, they want to down-rez it (to 480i) first.
    The only ways to record HD to your JVC DVHS right now are via a HTPC, the pricey modded DTC-100 STB (see here), the longtime-discontinued Panny DST51 STB (only some units with the right firmware will work), or the upcoming Samsung SIR-T165 STB (but only OTA HD). Pretty sad.