What's new

Recording HDTV with JVC HM-DH30000 (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My cable box has every imaginable output, to my awareness. It is the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD. I would like to try recording HD signal to DVHS tape. Does anyone know which output(s) I should feed to my JVC HM-DH30000?

Also, I'm looking at buying DVHS tape. The only tape I can find is Maxell DVHS 300 minutes (5 hours). First, is this 5 hours of top quality? Second, are there other options? Third, my best price thus far is $8.63/unit + shipping.

Please advise.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It's my impression from reading the review of that deck on the Audio-Video Interiors website that it will only record HD from the Firewire or DVI input on the deck. If your cable box has such an output it might work, otherwise not.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My cable box has every imaginable output
I lied.

It has the following:

Coax
Component
Coaxial Digital Audio
RF bypass
an unidentified port marked IR
USB input
RCA

I think that's it. The manual for the HM-DH30000 makes no mention of what needs to be connected for digital recording, but has a port for ieee, which is indicated as a direct digital-digital connection.

Is there a cable box that has ieee outputs?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
no cable boxes that Im aware of. For HD recording you will have to link it through a PC or a modified RCA DTC-100 receiver. Hopefully the next generation of HD receivers will have the required jacks.

Gregg

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
That's dissapointing to hear. I do not have such a solution. I wonder how long I'll have to wait for TWCNC & whatever box provider to add the appropriate ports.

I don't have much of a case with TWC though. "Hi, I'm one of two people in your providership citywide that has HD recording capability, please provide the appropriate outputs!".

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
This is another stumbling block with HD. Hollywood doesn't want you to tape HD, and even if they allow taping, they want to down-rez it (to 480i) first.
The only ways to record HD to your JVC DVHS right now are via a HTPC, the pricey modded DTC-100 STB (see here), the longtime-discontinued Panny DST51 STB (only some units with the right firmware will work), or the upcoming Samsung SIR-T165 STB (but only OTA HD). Pretty sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks