What's new

Reciever recomendation (1 Viewer)

Scott VanAntwer

Auditioning
I am looking to get a AV reciever but would like some advice on which one people are using these days, and who is giving the most bang for the buck. I would like something in the 110-150 wpc range. I am sure this should create some lively debate. Thanks I'll check back soon.

Scott

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I personally think the B&K AVR-307 is the best. But the Denon 5800 is close. And the new Pioneer high-end receiver is their absolute best yet. It may be right up their with the B&K, and depending on features, may be better. Definitely check out the top models from B&K, Denon, Onky, and Yamaha.

One last point. Yamaha has laid down the gauntlet on pricing. Their new AZ-1 receiver is top of the heap, right up there with the Pioneer 49TX, Denon 5800, B&K AVR-307, and it retails for less than $3000. So it may b a force to be reckoned with.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Wattage specifications are helpful, but knowing your budgetary limitations would be more so. Also, comparing the wattage ratings on two brands of receivers can be apples to oranges. If you want 110+ true, good, clean watts per discrete channel, that's a flagship quality receiver. You want one that is just rated for 110 watts, there is the Kenwood VR-510 that streets for $400...

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
What are you looking for (besides "a good quality receiver with lots of features that won't break the bank")? :cool:

Scott VanAntwer

Auditioning
I definently want a quality reciever from a company that is reliable. I am looking at Onkyo, Denon, B&K along those lines. It seems everyone is going to seven channels, but I don't plan on using more than 5. Anyways my budget for this started at 1,200 but could grow to the 2k mark since this is the backbone of my system. Thanks for all the input:)
Scott

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Well the Denon 4802 is a nice piece in that price range. If you are willing to go upwards of $2k though, you might consider a separates system, with a relatively inexpensive receiver with preouts (e.g Denon 2802) ~$550) and an excellent 5 channel amp.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Another vote for the new top of the line Pioneer if it's in your price range? which you never stated in your post. If it's a low price receiver I would vote for the Kenwood VR-507

Scott Quick

Agent
B&K 307 is the best receiver I know of. The new Pioneer flagship is certainly turning heads though - I'd look into that. My next recommendations for recievers would be the Denon 4802, and if you budget is smaller yet, the Denon 3802. I have never been very impressed with Onkyo. Yamahas have great DSP sections, but their amps are pretty rash, IMO. I would also rate Marantz 7200 and 6200 right up there with the Denon's I mentioned. The Marantz amps tend to be better suited for music.
In all honesty though, I'd strongly consider separates - when you get into pricerange of flagships, things tend to get out of hand. I'd recommend the Outlaw 950 preamp, an ATI 1506 and an ATI 1502 to cover all your speakers. You'll get MUCH better performance for almost the same cost as a flagship.
Just something to think about...
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks