What's new
World Wide Stereo

reciever opinions (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently upgrading my 5.1 sony reciever to a 6.1. The main thing I hated about the sony was the surround mode. 2ch was awesome and plenty loud, but the center and surround channels lacked bad on surround mode. I'm currently pondering a Harman Kardon AVR 135 and was looking for opinions on it. It will be used mostly for DVD viewing, with gaming being tied in second with 2ch music

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Jeff, could it be the Sony only had ProLogic? most newer 6.1 amps will have ProLogic II - also the newer DSP algorithms are muchg better now at steering the surround sounds, so it could be any newer amp will be better than the older Sony.

For 2-channel music I'm reading a lot of good things about the JVC RX-F10

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
It will be used about 50% for movies, 28% for gaming, and 22% for 2ch music so I'm looking mostly for something that can handle the surround sound of the digital optical inputs with great clarity more than I am for 2ch. right now the avr135 is my main choice cause its affordable

I'll look into the F10 though, so thanks for the reply
*Edit* I looked into this and its the same price as the HK, so I am now considering it. Any input on this or comparisons between the two would be appreciated. Thanks

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of budget are you trying to stay around?

I would look at the following (depending on your price range)

1. Denon
2. Yamaha
3. HK

All have good entry level systems and IMO all have great build quality and sound.

Also...I just can't help myself 50% movies, 28% gaming, and 22% music? :)

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
The budget I want to stay under is $200 shipped, which both the previous ones are. Also, what is wrong with my numbers?

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing wrong with them Jeff...just funny that you came up with 28% and 22%...come on..you dont see the humor in that?

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I can, I was just trying to illustrate that 2ch music is the least it will be used for

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm basically going to decide in the next hour and a half and my 3 choices are the HK AVR-135, the Pioneer VSX-D814, and the JVC F10. All are in my price range, which would be the best choice?

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with either the HK or the Pioneer if those were my choices.

I've never been much of a JVC fan. I do like the sound the the HK's deliver. They sound very neutral maybe leaning a bit towad the warm side..which IMO is a good thing!

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I guess my main question is which one will give me the clearist and most powerful output to every speaker in a 6.1 channel setup using the digital optical input (which is why the JVC is a potential) I hate having the mains overpower the center and surround, which my sony always did no matter how low I turned the main or how high I set the others

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
As far as your mains overpowering your center....do you have your system calibrated? You need to use a SPL meter to check your test tones and set your all of your speakers at the same decible level. Switching receivers won't help anything unless your calibrated properly.

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
with the gains on the center and surrounds turned all the way up, I still strained to hear them without cranking the volume way up. I'm positive it was the reciever, as its like 10 years old and sony's bottom line back then

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks