What's new

Reciever 6/8 ohms - speakers 4 ohms (1 Viewer)

Alfredo B

Auditioning
I'm thinking to buy a Denon AVR-1603 with JBL SCS178 speakers.
Denon specifications says for the front, center and sorround 70W+70W for 8 ohms and 100W+100W for 6 ohms.
The speakers JBL SCS178 have 4 ohms of impedance.

In Denon User's manual I've seen the following note about the speaker impedance and the protection circuit:
"The protector circuit may be activated if the set is played for long periods of time at high volumes when speakers with an impedance lower than the specified impedance (for example speakers with an impedance of lower than 4 ohms) are connected. If the protector circuit is activated, the speaker output is cut off ...."

As in the note it says "impedance lower than 4 ohms" I don't really know if it would be a good choice.

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
IMO you are asking for trouble.

If you can get a good returns policy then by all means try it, otherwise I suggest you change one of your selections so they are a better match.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I think you will probably be okay. If the return policy is good I would try it. However, it will run hot if you play a lot of hard ball.

Your denon is a quality unit, with a standard sony or pioneer you would be definately asking for trouble.

Is your last name Barrantes by any chance?

-rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks