What's new

Receiver Upgrade Advice (1 Viewer)

Gordon C Jr

Stunt Coordinator
My current setup is running a DVD player with an onboard decoder thru a Marantz “AC3 ready” (I think was the term) Pro-Logic receiver using it’s 6 channel inputs. I am contemplating purchasing a new DD/DTS receiver upgrade and am wondering how much of a difference I will notice?
I’m not entirely sure how the 6-channel direct feature really works in the receiver, but I thought the six channels by-passed the receivers internal formatting and basically used the receiver as an amplifier only? Thus, DTS or DD in (from DVD player) AND DTS or DD out (amplified to speakers)? Any enlightenment here would be appreciated.
Besides having a better handle on system configuration control, what benefits will I get with one of the newer model receivers? Is the sound that much better? I realize that the newer models have additional features and every company has their own special selling features. Putting that aside, what would make a large difference and warrant the $$$ if I were to purchase a receiver of same quality, build and spec. with the exception of this new receiver having a decoder. Will this make an earth shattering difference when mainly watching movies?
I trying to decide whether to spend the $$ now and upgrade or live with what I have and wait for the next line of receivers to come out with DPL II and whatever new format they come up with.
Current System:
Marantz 870 (DP w/6 channel inputs)
B&W 602’s
B&W CC6
B&W AS-7 (I think?)
Atlantic Tech rears (not sure?)
Panasonic DVD A320

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks