What's new

Receiver setting for "5.1" with no rear speakers (1 Viewer)

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I have always had complete 5.1 surround set-ups, so i an not used to setting anything else up -- here's the story, my friend asked me to set his sound system up for him. He has a Yamaha HTR5730 receiver with a sub, 2 fronts and a center - he is not using rears at this time. Now, what is the best setting on the receiver to maximize output with "rearless" this setup. Still user 5.1 surround? or use regular stereo setting? You know what i mean? I am not worried about trying to create any type of phantom surround or anything, i just want to make sure that the center will be utilized...

Thanks,

Matt

jinW

Grip
In my case (onkyo 501), I can set only 3 front speakers and set others none. Then let receiver handle surround modes.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you set it to 5.1, you will miss out on the rear information entirely. Just turn off the rear speakers in the setup menu and the receiver will take care of keeping the sound up front, basically like 3ch stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks