What's new

Receiver help needed (1 Viewer)

Bob Chicago

Auditioning
I was guided to this site from a friend at a gaming forum (ugo.com) who said the posters here were the most informed and nice guys there are to talk to about AV equipment. I am not a true audiophile like most of you (my wallet does not permit), but I am a step or two higher than your average Joe. So here goes my first post! :)
I have an older Sony receiver I bought quite a few years back (STR-D560Z) that I like, but lacks a digital/DTS decoder. It IS digital "ready" but I've been unable to find a cheap decoder that would bring it up to the digital age. I did find one at Klipsch.com (see it here):Link Removed
that seems nice,but for the $170 price tag, I'm thinking I may be better off spending a few dollars more and getting a whole new receiver. I don't want to spend big dollars on a whole new receiver (the Mrs. would kill me) so I need to keep it under $200.
I found an open box Sony STR-DE685 for $199 (retail is $299) that sounds pretty nice for the money. Am I better off with this receiver, or should I buy the Klipsch upgrade for my old system? Or does anyone know where I could find a cheaper Dolby Digital/DTS decoder that would make upgrading my old system more economically viable? Thanks in advance!

JackS

Supporting Actor
Sony, Yamaha and I'm sure a few others made decoders a few years back. A search of the auctions might lead you to something. The question might be though is-should you spend any money at all trying to improve an aged receiver.? 50-100 bucks might be better spent on newer equipment. Good luck, Jack

flenn

Agent
I'm going to sound like a broken record plugging this site - here
This, IMO, will blow the Sony away. Don't worry too much about the power rating. The HK should sound head and shoulders better than the Sony despite having a lower rating. Also, the HK is 31lbs. The Sony is only 16lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks