What's new

Receiver help needed quickly (1 Viewer)

I am looking to replace my Sony STR-DE545 with a new receiver for Xmas. Looking to spend around $450. I listened to Yamaha's RX-v740, and was impressed with what I got for the money in terms of inputs, outputs, and power. I currently utilize a Polk Audio satellite speaker system with a Yamaha subwoofer. Does anyone have any opinions on the rx-v740, or are there better receivers out there for the same money? The rxv740 retails for $599, and the best price so far is Abes of Maine for $425 + $27.50 shipping.
Thanks!!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
The RX-V740 isn't a bad piece. If you have a budet of $400 then I would also take a look at:

Harman/Kardon AVR-325
Pioneer Elite VSX41
Marantz SR4300

They are all pretty good products running for from $450 to $500. I would take the HK AVR-325 out of them all because it is a 7.1 reciever with component video, an easy set remote (intergrated SPL level in remote), and the best part of all is if you only want a 5.1 setup in your main room there is a second zone option to use those extra 2 channels on another speaker system anywhere in your house!!

The Pioneer also is decent. It includes a good amount of extra's but nothing too fancy. It is also pretty good build quality.

Take the time out to demo the recievers because each has a little different sound and it will influence your judgement. Good luck!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think you can get a H/K AVR-525 refurb from the H/K Ebay store in your budget. But I think it would require some patience, as they rarely have "Buy Now" price and purchase options.

I have looked on ebay for the hk 525, dont know if I can get one in my price range. Is that a superior receiver to the Yamaha v740? It only puts out 70watts per channel(7) while the yamaha puts out 85 per channel(6). Also, the yamaha has 4 optical inputs to the hk's 3. In addition it appears that the 525 is last years model. Would everyone agree that the hk is a better sounding receiver?

John S

Senior HTF Member
The specs don't show much truth on power....

The importance is which one sounds better to you.

If your partial to the Yamaha sound, your going to like the Yamaha better, if your partial to the H/K sound your going to like that one better.

I can say, I feel the H/K is more powerfull than the Yamaha no matter what the specs my state. And I am not even an H/K guy, I'm a Denon guy....

Then again, I just installed a few really cheap refurb recievers over the weekend, and for $180 bucks, they blew me away on how they performed. They were Onkyo SR-501's...

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Allen. A few things to consider. A reciever is an "amplifier" not a "wattifier", but watts are important all the same.

The Yamaha says it will do something like 80W per channel but in reality it won't do much more than about 35-40Watts. The reason for this? Yamaha rates there recievers with only 1 channel driven, not all channels.

Harman on the other side underrates there amps, so that 70W will end up being anywhere from about 70 to 80W per channel.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

That link above shows you the output ratings of some of the recievers. You can see that some of the models are from previous years but, nothing has really changed. The one thing I am proud to say as a HK owner is that all the HK recievers were way above what they were rated for.

As for inputs, i'm not sure how many you need as i'm sure in total you won't use perhaps more than 3 in total.

Also, in terms of watts. I've found that you really don't need much more than perhaps 20-30W to get some really good levels so I wouldn't even worry about power unless your trying to play it through a huge huge room.

Good luck with your setup though.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Avoid Abes of maine like the plague. Go to the retalis and wholesale feedback section of the forum if you want details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks