What's new

receiver display (1 Viewer)

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if the receivers display is supposed to show 5.1{3/2}, prologic and or digital stereo when watching a movie that's made in one of the above. Mine only shows prologic even when the movie is in say 5.1 or digital stereo. I can "hear" a difference sometimes but the display doesn't change to say if it's 5.1 or whatever. Now when I play a DVD it will show dolby 3/2 and that all speakers are working but only prologic and the front center and subwoofer with those letters in little boxes and 2 empty boxes for the surrounds when watching movies in digital format on TV. Is that the way it's supposed to work? The people at Comcast said it will play in however it was made. William

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It depends on your cable service and how you've connected it to your system. You need a cable box with a digital output and a digital connection between the box and your receiver. Is that what you have?

M.

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
There's a digital audio out on the digital box which is coax. There is 1 digital optical on the receiver that is also linked to video2 which I have connected to my DVD. There is also 1 digital coax on the receiver but not sure what it connects to like video 1 or DVD, CD or what. I don't know. Maybe if the digital box had an optical jack I could connect it to the optical video2 on the receiver but sinse it doesn't I may be out of luck. If I am out of luck then I guess I will have to settle for Prologic which I can live with. Thanks for the help. William

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If you have just one coax and one optical connection on the receiver, and the cable receiver only has an optical out, then get a coax digital cable for the DVD player and switch the optical cable over to the cable box.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Since the cable box has a digitial coax out and the receiver has a digital coax in, it should be fairly simple to get digital sound from your cable programs. All you have to do is figure out how to access the digital coax input on the receiver. Maybe it's listed in the receiver's manual.

M.

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
It works!!! I connected it to the DVD jacks and it works. I get a readout for 5.1 or prologic whichever is being shown. Change channels and I get a different readout for each one. Thanks very much guys. Do I need to use the audio cables on the DVD jacks also? I'm just using the optical cable on my DVD player, no audio cables at all. Can I do the same here and just use the digital coax? Thanks. William

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Do I need to use the audio cables on the DVD jacks also? I'm just using the optical cable on my DVD player, no audio cables at all. Can I do the same here and just use the digital coax?
You'll probably need analog audio cables as well. If your cable system is like most, there will be some channels (usually with numbers under 100) that don't have a digital signal.

Glad you got it working!

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks