What's new

Receiver advice + general questions (1 Viewer)

JamesPersoleo

Auditioning
I am looking into upgrading my current setup.
I currently have a RCA HTIB just as a placeholder.
Planning on dropping 500-1000 per year upgrading until I replace the entire thing.

The main problem is that I have a Panasonic 42 inch Plasma TV without a tuner. model: TH-42PW5
Whlie it really hasn't been too much trouble I have to run the inputs thru a VCR.
Is there a receiver with a built in tuner?
Also I had orignally planned to use S-video from the receiver to the TV but the receiver will only output what is fed and if the TV detects S-video it will not switch to RCA - Any way around that? or would a better receiver have that functionality?

Also in the interest of not drilling holes in my ~1880 era house I was looking at wireless solutions for TV viewing in other rooms. I had found something that I though would take the entire cable signal and send it over the 2.4 Ghz band but I cannot recall the name or link or what I searched on Google for =(
All I have been able to find since is something that will take RCA inputs which means each of the other TVs would not be individually tuned. Also with the current plan I have which includes the wireless feature I would cut out a split in the line before hitting the cable modem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
James,

First welcome to the Forum!
Yes, many late-model receivers have an “upconversion” function. It doesn’t improve the picture quality of something originating from an inferior source, but it does solve the connections hassles. For now you’ll have to feed the VCR’s video to a separate input on the TV, or just use the Ch. 3 or 4 conversion.

Wow, 1800’s house – very cool! :emoji_thumbsup:

Hopefully someone else can answer you question about the wireless rig.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks