What's new

Received my David Lynch.com Order! (Packaging review) (1 Viewer)

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
[font=]

Greetings all-

Talk about fast shipping!

I just received my confirmation yesterday and I got it today! (I live in Southern California so it didn’t have to go to far.)

I received the Short Films DVD and the Bluebob CD.

First of all, sorry but I do NOT have access to a digital camera.

Second, I'm @ work so I can’t check out the DVD yet. (Plus I'll have to keep this post short.)

First impressions:

WOW... I mean SUPER wow!

First of all they shipped in an actual DL.com black printed shipping box! Wasn’t expecting that...neat.

Carefully cutting it open the 2 8x8 boxes were bagged and wrapped in nice red tissue paper(!) I felt like I was getting a present!

And now the part everyone’s been waiting for: the 8x8 boxes.

I know some people were pretty disappointed that they don’t come in a regular amaray case.

No, these will not fit on your regular DVD shelf. But that’s just fine because they deserve a special place anyway.

I was not really sure what to expect myself, but they are beautiful! A PAPER slipcase (printed on all 4 sides) pulls off to reveal a sturdy cardboard double "flap hinged" all matte black box with a 5" hole in both flaps so you can see the disc. (The disc is housed in a cardboard ENVELOPE that is part of the flap. and under the flaps is a FULL COLOR & GLOSSY booklet on thick quality paper, filled with great full bleed photographs. They reminded me of the David Lynch "Images" photo book. (The book is oversized and fills the width of the box)

I would describe the whole thing as artistic fragile quality.

Yes, everything about it seems very fragile - like a piece of art. If you were going to remove the discs more than once a year or so I'd keep them out of the boxes and make regular sleeves for them.

I don’t mean that statement to detract from the box at all, just that when you get yours, you will see how you would want to keep it in mint condition.

I think they are so classy that if someone packaged Earnest Saves Christmas like this you'd be like "Ohhh. What’s this?" ;)

Hope this helps anyone who was holding off buying one. (perhaps someone else who reads this can take pictures for everybody...)

That’s it for now.

Can’t wait to get home!

-Later

--Twitch

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds very cool. If only I could find a way of getting a copy over here that didn't cost me $30 in shipping. :frowning:

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Nope - don't need to be a member. There is some nice stuff on there. Some gorgeous fine art prints. How cool to have an original David Lynch hanging on your wall. No prices on them though!?

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
The fine art prints are supposedly around $1,000 each (yes, one thousand dollars).

The shipping is expensive, but it goes down drastically the more you buy. I'm still mulling over my order.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
The shipping is expensive, but it goes down drastically the more you buy. I'm still mulling over my order.
Well, that's good news. So I should be able to have both the Short Films and Eraserhead DVDs sent for cheaper than $19 postage? I may have to wait until Eraserhead is available to place an order.

Jeff Wright

Auditioning
I go to the store, and it shows as still under construction.

Can someone post a direct link?

Thanks,

Jeff

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
This packaging scratched my Shorts DVD disc!! The disc came loose- the open cardboard sleeve is not a good design to keep the disc in place and mine looks like it was sliding around all the way here. A superficial examination of the disc shows no damage on playback but this still really irksome considering the price of this thing. The bottom of the package is wasted space- they could have easily put a Amray case and sleeve underneath so that it could have been more secure and allowed folks to put it with their other DVDs. I really hope they rethink this thing before they release Eraserhead. Form follows function, right?

So I have transferred my disc to an Amray- could anyone with better photoshop skills than I please come up with a slipsleeve for the case or a link to one?

Thanks!

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
All this great publicity lead me to go ahead and order this disc on Wednesday. Since I'm the "spoiled- gotta have it now" type, I opted for the $18.00 2 day shipping method. Two days later- no disc. Checked credit card for charges- no new transactions. Checked davidlynch.com- "due to unexpected demand, this product will not ship until the week of March 4th.". So much for the 2 day shipping. Not a major delay, just annoying...

Anxiously awaiting the "Eraserhead now available" e-mail.

spoiled-sport jim

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

I meant that your shipping doesn't skyrocket if you buy more items. The rate of increase tapers off. I bought a CD, coffee mug and DVD and paid $11.50 shipping, UPS Ground.

Lynch mob:

Gotta love the Lynch. Spent many dollars at his site.

Unfortunately, my two boxes from DL.com were taped to each other with much packing tape (and also significantly beat up by UPS...here in CA, I seem to have bad luck with that).

Even more unfortunately, while I appreciate Dave's creativity, I think the packaging of the DVD and CD is mistaken. I expected an oversized box, but one that would be more practical in design (a la the oversized but sturdy Anchor Bay tins). Actually, I was hoping for something along the lines of the MiB SE, a sturdy cardboard package with the design printed onto it.

With no real hub, the iminent danger of scratching, and the only label on the box ready-to-wear-out paper, the set looks good now, but won't for long, especially given the fact that the paper must be slid off the box each time I want to access the disc. I get what he's going for (I like that it's something special), but I'm not a fan of DVD (or CD) releases that immediately inspire the desire to replace the packaging at our own expense. My first thought on seeing these was: OK, how am I going to repackage these so I can USE them over the years.

I assume this is just a lack of foresight and knowledge of DVD consumer tastes and needs (a more cynical view might be that the thin cardboard and paper is cheaper than a thicker and more durable mix of cardboard and plastic). It's just unfortunate that for the slightly steep price, so many of us have to talk about getting amarays, jewel cases and whatnot.

On the upside, everything ELSE is great (and worth the price, in my mind), including the booklets (which, of course, won't fit into the amarays and jewel cases so many of us will employ. Too bad Lynch (or whoever) didn't design a full-on package that would wed what he has to durable plastic hubs, etc.

I imagine it's far too late for Eraserhead to look any different, but perhaps this design can be corrected (or supplemented) in future with practical designs. Anyone know if Lynch and crew are getting feedback in the DL chat room?

OK, rant over. But as a non-graphics artiste, I second the motion:

someone please design amaray and jewel case inserts...many would undoubtedly appreciate them!

Post 'em here!

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Anxious to get the Shorts DVD, I placed a second order last week when the discs were expected to ship that week. I checked the site again today only to learn the "expected to ship" date has now been pushed back to the week of March 25th. With two orders pending, it sure would be nice to have some way to check their status. I'm so freakin' impatient its frightening...

Has anybody who ordered in the past two weeks recieved the Shorts disc? Is there any e-mail confirmation of shipment, or do the packages just show up on your doorstep?

I'm making myself ill with anticipation. I'm hopelessly addicted to dvd's. Oh well- the habit is cheaper than crack (marginally), less destructive to your liver than alcohol and only occasionally leads to "family interventions"- for your own good, of course.

what a sad cry for help. Jimmy

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I received copy of Short Films yesterday. My copy seems to be defective.....pixelization and eventual freeze about 5 minutes into third film. Appears to be layer switch issue. Anyone else experience this problem. THIS ISSUE RESOLVED..CLOSE EXAMINATION REVEALED WHAT APPEARED TO BE GLUE ON THE DISC SURFACE.

Also, disc came loose in package.....no visible damage.

Shipping cost is another issue. The charge was $29.50 but the actual USPS postage was only $12.30

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks