What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Reboot of the 1960's The Avengers (1 Viewer)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
To paraphrase the great director Billy Wilder - If a show was great, you shouldn't remake it. If it was lousy, why remake it.

The 60's, and even 70's, Avengers was so special, unique and of its time that any remake is not going to be anything as ground breaking or interesting. What could you do with the property? At it's core, The Avengers is just a pairing of a professional spy with an amateur one. It was special because of the actors' chemistry and appeal. A broad approach to surrealism crept in over time. But I don't see replicating that and being successful. It will be another run of the mill procedural like Bones, Castle, Elementary or any other similar show I can't think of now. Are the networks that cheap that they won't program a show they don't own anymore?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't see how the show could be remade today in a satisfying way. Just maybe, if it's a period piece, set in the early 60s, it could be fun. Otherwise, no.

But I'm all in favor of blu-rays of the seasons not on blu-ray!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm obviously too young to have been around for the original run of this show. However...Marvel kind of has the market cornered on the use of the title The Avengers at this point. Does anyone think there WOULDN'T be marketplace confusion if a reboot series goes out with that name in the current environment?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Even though the Honor Blackman episodes are still around, there's no point putting 'em on blu-ray. They're kiniscopes. Not actual 35mm.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Even though the Honor Blackman episodes are still around, there's no point putting 'em on blu-ray. They're kiniscopes. Not actual 35mm.
I don't think anyone is expecting the first three years to be released on blu ray. What most fans in North America would like to see is the nice DVD set of the complete series, with the recovered first year episodes and reconstruction of missing episodes that was released in the UK. The last three years that were shot on film were released on blu ray also. With nice supplements that enhance the viewing for long time or new fans. Season 5 was released on blu in North America by Lionsgate, with no supplements and some pitch issues on the audio. A renewed interest in the show might bring a new release. That's the hope at least.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I don't think anyone is expecting the first three years to be released on blu ray. What most fans in North America would like to see is the nice DVD set of the complete series, with the recovered first year episodes and reconstruction of missing episodes that was released in the UK. The last three years that were shot on film were released on blu ray also. With nice supplements that enhance the viewing for long time or new fans. Season 5 was released on blu in North America by Lionsgate, with no supplements and some pitch issues on the audio. A renewed interest in the show might bring a new release. That's the hope at least.

Darin:

That is exactly what I'm hoping. The reboot itself is not my real interest; I'm just hoping it may be the catalyst to getting all of the existing episodes of the original series released or re-released in Region 1. Something along the lines of Studio Canal's The Avengers: The Complete 50th Anniversary Collection DVD set is what I have in mind: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Avengers-50th-Anniversary/dp/B00485D7WQ

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Something along the lines of Studio Canal's The Avengers: The Complete 50th Anniversary Collection DVD
That looks like a good set. I let it sit in my Amazon UK wish list for too many years and it became hard to get on the cheap. I still have my A&E 63' and 64' sets for Honor Blackman. The 62' set was hard to find in stores when new, and hard to find at a decent price now. It's nearly half the price of the complete set now on the open market.

I have the blu-ray sets from the UK of series 4,5 and 6. They look fabulous. I really enjoy the Tara episodes more with a decent video presentation. The Diana Rigg episodes are more fondly remembered in the U.S. , and I'm not sure if a separate release out side of those would ever sell well enough to warrant it in North America. A complete series set would be our best chance to see remastered episodes of the early/later episodes on this side of the pond.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wish they wouldn't, but if they must, it must be set in Britain in the early 1960s.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I recently finished a rewatch of my Emma Peel DVD box set. I then started the Season 2 episodes on Amazon Prime. Unfortunately, they were removed at the beginning the year. I haven't seen any information yet if they have landed anywhere for viewing in the US.

Note that Big Finish first did audio adaptations of the "lost" Steed and Keel Season 1 episodes and then did adaptations of The Avengers comic strips featuring Steed and Mrs Peel plus also Steed and Tara King and also the Too Many Targets book.
I found them entertaining.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm obviously too young to have been around for the original run of this show. However...Marvel kind of has the market cornered on the use of the title The Avengers at this point. Does anyone think there WOULDN'T be marketplace confusion if a reboot series goes out with that name in the current environment?
Yeah, they could give it some kind of moronic name like The British Avengers or The BBC's Avengers or The Avengers: The Swingin' 60's or The Avengers: No, Not The Super Hero One and people will still be wondering where Captain America is.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I wish they wouldn't, but if they must, it must be set in Britain in the early 1960s.
I think if they do anything modern or the same period as the original, it will fail hard.

Personally, it could be done if they:

1) Push back to the early 1900s. Prior to WWI
2) Add in steampunk elements. You had the auto and the airplane and other technological developments. You can play with a lot here if you are imaginative.
3) You have a ton of state espionage things going on, and similar military developments.
4) So, its a cross between The Avengers, Wild Wild West, the 2 Downey-Law Sherlock Holmes movies and maybe some Brisco County Jr thrown in.
5) Jude Law would be fantastic here with the right costar.

There is a ton of possibilities here.

And the further it is from an imitation of what they are trying to reboot, the better chance it will stand on its own instead of being compared, falling flat and getting dismissed.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I grew up watching The Avengers so a reboot of such an iconic show seems impossible to pull off. I didn't care for the 1970's reboot.

The 70's wasn't actually a reboot, though. It was a sequel/followup. That said, I liked Joanna Lumley well enough, but the episodes definitely didn't have the original's je nais se quois.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks