What's new

Rear Center Speaker (1 Viewer)

Chuck_H

Auditioning
I searched for this but found little help. I have just set up a new theater room, and purchased an Onkyo 6.1 channel reciever. I only have a 5.1 surround speaker system made by Acoustic Research. What kind of speaker should I buy for the Rear Center channel, or is it even worth it? Does it really make a big difference? Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It makes aignificant difference with some movies as it really anchors the rear soundfield. If you can get a speaker that matches your surround left & right speakers then that would be ideal. Myself, I used a centre channel speaker that matches the surrounds. Some other use two speakers as rear centre. In some systems they use the exact same speakers all around but this can be a tough compromise if you also use the system for 2 channel music.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The difference is subtle, but nice, and since you already have a 6.1 receiver, it's easy and probably worth it for you. You should use 2 rear centers wired together if possible, and this is probably easiest anyway, since most speakers are sold by the pair anyway.

It won't make a *huge* difference, but it does improve 5.1. Not so much that I would recommend someone with only a 5.1 receiver spending all that money to upgrade their receiver to 6.1 just for it, but since you're all set up and ready to go, all you need is two speakers back there, that are similar to your other surrounds if possible, and you're good to go.

Chuck_H

Auditioning
If I did use two speakers for the rear center how would I wire them? Do I just daisy chain them?

Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks