What's new

Really stupid wiring questions (1 Viewer)

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
I hate asking questions this dumb. So laugh, say "Gee, what a hayseed" then please if you can answer....

This all assumes no bi-wire or bi-amp.

1. If I'm using 12 gauge wire in a 5.1 system and my surrounds are 25' away, do I need 100' of wire just to wire the surrounds? (L & R x 25' x 2 speakers)

2. If I want to use banana plugs for a 5.1 system, do I need 20 plugs? (L & R x 5 speakers x 2 receiver outputs).

3. Do banana plugs have to be soldered or can they just be clamped on in some fashion?

4. For an active subwoofer, do I just need a single subwoofer cable to drive it apart from power?

Thanks very much in advance.

Donald

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
man...what a hayseed. (okay...i just had to since you told me it was okay)... :D

1. you only need as much wire as necessary for any given speaker. always leave a little extra for "maintenance", but they don't all have to be the same length. some will argue this point...but i'll just laugh at them. ;)

2. yep. never thought about that...that's a lot of plugs. be aware that not all binding posts are spaced the same. you may have to buy "individual" plugs instead of the kind connected together. no biggie...just something to consider.

3. all banana plugs that i'm aware of do NOT require solder. they are mostly clamped to the wire by friction of some sort. you either feed the wire through the plug, then screw on the top .. or you unscrew a plug, push the wire through, then screw the plug back.

4. yup!

[edit] there are no dumb questions...just people who are too dumb to ask them. ;) after all, that's what we're here for...so feel free to ask away!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
All great answers from ted.

I'll just add that you dont NEED to use banana plugs for any particular reason, and when you start multiplying, it can get costly. It's very handy if you're unplugging/plugging things in all the time, but if you have a fairly stable system, and aren't changing things around all the time, there's not a lot of motivation to spend all that $$ on banana plugs.

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ted, that gets me a long way there. Just a couple of follow ups so I'm clear.

1. 'Only as much wire as necessary'. If I'm going 25', I assume that I'm going to need 50' of wire, 25' feet for L channel 25' for R channel. As compared to somehow using 1 25' foot piece of cable for both left and right using 12 gauge wire.

2. So some banana plugs actually are a 2 in 1 configuration? (i.e. you take care of left and right with one 'connected together' banana plug). In that case I'd need 10 instead of 20 plugs? So I have to find out before I order them what kind they are? (I'm doing this over the web).

Thanks,

Donald

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
1) yes. You need the wire to each speaker, 12 gauge stranded is fine.

2) Well, not left and right together. You need a plus and minus wire to each speaker (basic electric stuff), and so you can get two individual plugs to take care of this, because often the spacing of the binding posts on speakers are too far apart to accomodate the dual plugs, which are just two plugs that are bound together with a plastig bridge thing, just to make it a tad more convenient.

See these links for single and double plugs:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=278%2D306

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=278%2D308

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, Ted, thanks a bunch, I'm much clearer now. Baby step by baby step, I'm getting there.

Donald

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no problem donald. good luck with your project - and remember to have fun! then you can proudly call yourself a geek and join us legions here at htf.... :rolleyes::)

LewB

Screenwriter
If I want to use banana plugs for a 5.1 system, do I need 20 plugs? (L & R x 5 speakers x 2 receiver outputs).
Funny how math has a habit of breaking the bank on little projects like this, huh ?
I was amazed at the cost of a 'simple' idea like using banana plugs for 5 speakers !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks