What's new

Really BIG screen gaming (1 Viewer)

EdR

Second Unit
Found this article linked from slashdot. It's about a theater in San Diego that's converting to a gaming 'arena' .
The theater has been transformed into a multi-player gaming center in which patrons can challenge one another on some 80 computer games. Unlike a video arcade, players will compete against each other on such popular game systems as Microsoft's XBox, Sony's PlayStation 2 and Nintendo's GameCube.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I thought you had to get a special license from the publishers to do this...though I'm honestly not sure where I heard that.

EdR

Second Unit
I thought you had to get a special license from the publishers to do this...though I'm honestly not sure where I heard that.
You might be thinking of the notice on the game boxes. I recently recall reading an Xbox game that said something like 'unauthorized pay-for-play is prohibited'...

Hmmm...they possibly could get around this by forming a club that offered 'free' big screen gaming...join the club for a fee, play games for free...

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
It's definitely a pay-for-play proposition. They're charging the price of a movie for 2 hrs gaming. I assume they just arranged to be 'authorized' through some sort of licencing deal with the various console and game manufacturers.

Prolly generate a reasonable amount of business for the latter folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks