What's new

Ready for Chuck Heston in Agony & Ecstasy? (1 Viewer)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If "Agony" were to get announced on DVD, my faith in Fox's ability to do it right would be non-existent based on their recent track record with "Star!" and "One Million Years B.C." Given how as Joe Caps has noted, the current versions that air on TCM eliminate the Entr'acte and Exit Music, I doubt Fox is going to be bright enough to get them restored on DVD should they do this title.

For now, I'll have to remain satisfied with my 1995 widescreen airing on AMC (back in the days when they were a good channel).

TonyDale

Second Unit

Yes, BUT, the Entr'Acte and Exit Music (of STAR!) were created for the laserdisc, not for the theater, so, TCM is showing the film as it was seen in theaters, NOT how the movie appeared on laserdisc.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yikes!! I love Agonay and the Ecstasy and saw these at least ten times or so in the theater where it ALWAYS had intermission - along with intermission and exit music. So TCM is certainly NOT showing it just as it was in the theater. Especially not with showing the prologue doc AFTER the film (and in mono, to boot!!).

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
My reference was to "Agony's" airings on TCM. As for "Star!" I will not buy a movie on DVD that is presented with less material in the film content than was done for the LD release (which is also why I will never own cut versions of "1776", "Alamo", etc. either)

TonyDale

Second Unit

Well, thank goodness that there's another fan of 1776's great laserdisc out there!
I won't even begin to discuss my feelings for Peter Hunt, as I want to remain civilized. Is two-faced civilized enough?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Rest assured, there are many of us out there who will never forgive Peter Hunt. Fortunately, someone was kind enough to do a DVD transfer of the LD (with a better looking cover than the DVD release using the LD cover art) and now I'm no longer as bitter about it as I used to be.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Fox isn't trying very hard to market this title. The release date is only 3 weeks away and nobody seems to have any specifications on the disc. DDD and Digitaleyes list it as FF but most other stores just list the audio and video specs as "unknown".

Has anyone seen any specification data on this title? :confused:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Well lets see it's 138mins and anamorphic 2.35 which is a good start. I just hope it has stereo sound, my old vhs copy did.
DVDPacific is selling it at the impossibly cheap price of $5.92/£3.15! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
ARROWHEAD and THE NAKED JUNGLE are already out on DVD. Sometimes these releases just slip right past us. A restored MAJOR DUNDEE, with a newly commissioned music score, is getting a rep house release this spring and is a cinch for DVD sometime afterwards.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Good golly Steve, when will you make an end?

DVDworldonline reports the following:

Format: Widescreen (2.35:1) (Enhanced for 16x9)
Special Features: Theatrical Trailer, Interactive Menus, Scene Selections
Languages: English (Dolby Digital Surround)
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Sides: 1
Layers: Dual
Running Time: TBA

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
When I'm finished.

Fluffdaddy, haven't seen you around in ages, well I've been a bit testy lately, Zen's getting my goat, Mike's killed my goat, what else is new? :D

hmmm I wonder if I should wait for a 2-disc R2 ultimate edition of Agony and the Ecstacy, we saw what happened with Battle of Britain, right? ;)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I hope Fox gets the continuity right. A new transfer showed up a few years ago on TCM but without the prolgue and no intermission. or exit music. The Michelangelo prologue was shown after the film as a short, in mono and with credits over the opening(thees not supposed to be credits for the prologue.
Toady on Fox Movie, a new different transfer was shown.
Still gone is the prolgue, intermission and exit music. The Prologue is shown after the film, new transfer without the credits over the opening shots, but the stereo is back. The credits are shown against a blackground when the prologue is finished. Who know what we'll get on the new dvd?

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I'll know what we'll get on DVD since I now have it in my hands, along with Francis of Assisi. I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks