What's new

Blu-ray Review The Agony and the Ecstasy Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
20th Century Fox later deleted the prologue from 70mm prints for International release. It was cut from the print that we screened on our 60 ft TODD-AO screen..The film bored me having to endure seeing it every day. It was not a successful film at our cinema.

The prologue was included when the film first opened in London. I certainly didn’t find it boring. I thought it one of the more interesting and intelligent of the 70mm films. Of course, I imagine every film becomes boring if one has to watch it every day!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw the new 70mm/Datasat print at the BFI Southbank years ago and it looked really great and it included the prologue.
One of the best new 70mm prints l have seen.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The movie is overly long but fascinating nonetheless. Absolutely LOVE Rex Harrison's Pope and Charlton Heston, while playing the artist as heterosexual, is also grand. The sparring between these two represent the best parts of this picture, magnificently photographed in Todd A-O. The script lumbers - a bit more 'agony' than 'ecstasy' but otherwise, definitely worth a look.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I saw the new 70mm/Datasat print at the BFI Southbank years ago and it looked really great and it included the prologue.
One of the best new 70mm prints l have seen.

Indeed, the Blu-ray unfortunately is not quite up to the task of doing it justice. Hopefully at some point Fox will revisit The Agony and the Ecstasy as it could be a real UHD showcase, same with Cleopatra.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The prologue was included when the film first opened in London. I certainly didn’t find it boring. I thought it one of the more interesting and intelligent of the 70mm films. Of course, I imagine every film becomes boring if one has to watch it every day!

Try watching SOUND OF MUSIC every day for 41 weeks. Never got bored with seeing SOUTH PACIFIC for 26 weeks however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.