What's new

Ready for another Austin meet??? (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Greg -
Once I close on my place, I intend to go out and BUY a DLP projector (probably an 800-1,000 lumen, XGA-resolution model). Some LCDs now offer comparable brightness, better color accuracy, and 'soft' pixel structure, such as the NEC VT540, so I may go with one of those.
So if we do a big outdoor meet in the future, I may be able to provide the projection equipment (unless we're talking about lighting up a drive-in movie screen).
So far, I've only received one E-mail from additional people who want to attend the 3/24 meet, so I don't think we're going to crowd you out of the place.
Besides, who has a home theater with seating for more than 12? Even the biggest, "bestest" $100K+ setups in Audio/Video Interiors don't usually seat that many. Bigger than that, and you might as well buy the remains of a small cinema that went out of business!
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I think it will be alot of fun for everyone. I've been playing with the projector everynight after the kids go to bed. It will be a nice break to finally sit down with everyone and watch a flix, instead of test grids. But I may watch a movie before the meet if I can find a copy of The Rock special edition.
I did just recently complete a transaction with someone in Hong Kong for a really cool movie 4 pack that hopfully will be in by the time of the meet, so we might compare them to thier laserdisc counterparts. But I won't FORCE anyone to watch.
Can't wait to meet my fellow HTF junkies.
Greg

Will Ernst

Agent
Another HK cinema fan? Most of my (admittedly extremely small) DVD collection is kung fu stuff. If Amazon gets my shipment together, I'll have Wing Chun and Shaolin Master Killer in a few days. I just got a copy of The Storm Riders which has some great special effects in it. I got Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but haven't had any luck getting it to play just yet. I've been trying to get new stuff while also replacing my dubbed VHS collection with DVDs, anyone know if there's a Once Upon a Time in China boxed set?
-will

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Stormriders is pretty cool. A freind loaned me his vcd of it awhile back and it was a neat flic but on the big screen the compression was really annoying. But that is videocd.
Greg

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Are we still on for Saturday? Lunch still at Chuy's? As far as I know, YES on both counts!
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Chad Anson

Second Unit
I'm still planning on Chuy's and hitting a few of the HT stores. I think I'm going to have to skip the demo at Greg's- I can only stick my wife with the visiting inlaws for so long... ;-)
Do we have a set time and a final headcount for lunch? Chuy's gets really crowded.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I would suggest about 11:30 for lunch. That way we miss some of the begining of the lunch rush.
------------------
Jeff Blair
A little boy asked his father, "Daddy, how much does it cost to get
married?" And the father replied, "I don't know son, I'm still paying.
My DVD's

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
This is a little off topic but I couldn't think of a better place to post it. I need to have a pair of ESS Model 4 speakers refurbed. Just the cabinet and covers. They are a wood finish now and i would like to change them to black. I just don't have the time to do it. If anyone is interested in doing this or knows of a reputable place I could take them please let me know.
I am looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday. I am not going to be able to make Greg's demo however. I just want to make sure someone gets my spot.
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Colin, I'll help out in the crowd situation. It appears that I won't be able to attend, as I may go out of town to get my daughter back to TCU.
I'm bummed out...

Shawn McBride

Stunt Coordinator
I can make the lunch, and probably a store visit, but I've got some other errands to run on Saturday so I'll go ahead and free up my spot at Greg's theater demo for someone else.
BTW, where is the Chuy's on research? I'd hate to not be able to find the restaraunt.
rolleyes.gif

Shawn.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Hey guys - don't all drop out from seeing Greg's setup! Though Greg was talking about only being able to seat ~12 people, I only got one response from the AVS Forum contingent. There is still plenty of room for everyone who wants to see Greg's setup.
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Yup there is room. I just moved somethings around in the room and I've now got 10 chairs that should fit no problem. I could even make a little more room by just rolling the computer desk into the other room so that could open up alittle more space.
Greg

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
For thoughs of you who do not know whre Chuey's is. It is on the west side of 183 and Duval. It is just south of the Solectron plant, what is left of it. :) You should see a big statue of a guy holding a globe. And, it is right next door to a Joe's Crab Shack.
------------------
Jeff Blair
My DVD's

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Just an idea for the demo. Everyone has a little gem of a movie or music that most haven't heard of or seen, so feel free to bring'em and we can try it out for the group. I myself am a music junkie, and I love to hear some blues or jazz I am not familar with. Two dvd's that I just think are great for showing off the audio side of a theater is the 2 volumes of Sessions at West 54th. I'm starting to like japanamation like Ghost in the Shell and Princess Mononoke, so if you have some you would like to show others bring it. I have a couple of surprises on laserdisc that you wouldn't guess but you'll just have to show up to find out.
Greg
P.S. Does Stevie Ray Vaughan just sound better in Austin or is it me?

Shawn McBride

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,
What's going on with the meet this weekend? I've beeng getting e-mails from Nils Luehrmann talking about changing lunch plans and store visits but still including a demo at Greg's place? I haven't seen any mention of that in this thread though so I'm getting confused now as to who's meeting where and what the plan is.
Can anybody clue me in?
Shawn.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Nils Luehrmann comes from the AV Science forum. He knows additional people in Austin who are interested in home theater.
He is working on an alternative demo, since High Fidelity was unable to get in the projector they had hoped to show. As of last night, the last time I checked my personal E-mail, the alternative demo had not yet been finalized.
Some of the people he knows think Chuy's is too far away from the site of the demo. I personally disagree, as it is only about 15 minutes away (assuming normal weekend, not weekday, traffic levels).
I have told Nils Luehrmann that the HTF contingent has pretty much settled on Chuy's for lunch, and that we may have to meet at the site of the demo. Now that it's only two days before the meet, I think it's a bit late to change our plans for lunch - and the initial meeting place.
The worst case: We won't get to meet the AVS guys until we get to the demo site. And if the alternative demo falls through, we can all meet at Chuy's anyway.
I will post an update tonight after I see my personal E-mail.
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Well here is the schedule I would like to shoot for.
11:00 lunch--I don't care where, I will be driving up from the south side so its no big deal.
1:00 Hit a A/V store. The Home Theater Store has an amazing Meridian Digital theater that is amazing. I not really in the market for anything so I not to eager to spend along time at where ever we go. The AVS group has something going at CST and I am up for that also but trying to get to my house at 6 would just put a crimp time wise on what I have planned.
3:00 Caravan to my house and just relax and enjoy what ever the group desires. I've got a few things I think everyone might like to check out and I am open to people bringing things they would like to try on a different system. I even got a nice new computer that we could play some video games on. Crimson Skies is killer with the Force Feedback joystick. I do think it would be fun to actually watch a movie instead of just popping stuff in and out, the whole time. No rush, I don't have to wind things down till about 8:30.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions or ideas. I will bring maps to the lunch.
Greg

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I would have to agree with 11:00 for Chueys. That way we can beat most of the luch rush. I think Colin is right about the time it takes to get to outh Austin. It shouldn't be that bad.
------------------
Jeff Blair
My DVD's

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Nils Luehrmann and I just talked and integrated all the different plans being discussed for tomorrow's meet. The schedule below is what we worked out that meets everyone's needs. We'll start out with lunch at 11:30AM at Tien Hong (note the change), progress to Custom System Technologies for a demo from 2-3PM, then visit Greg Risley's place from 4-9PM to see his home theater setup.
Previous plans for lunch at Chuy's, as discussed earlier on the HTF, have been CHANGED due to logistical problems (inability to get reservations for a large group) and requests for a location closer to the CST demo.
11:30am - 1:45pm Luncheon
Tien Hong
8301 Burnet (One block North of Steck on Burnet Rd.)
458-2263
MAP
2:00pm - 3:00pm Retailer Demonstration
CST (Custon System Technologies)
2620 Buell Ave. (One block North of Steck go West off Burnet Rd.)
459-6818
MAP
Their offices are by appointment only so it is not obvious where they are located. When you get to the building at 2620 Buell, you will see stairs on the West side of the building going up to an entrance on the 2nd Floor. This
is the entrance to CST.
4:00pm - 9:00pm HT Screening
Greg Risley
(email Greg at [email protected] for details; Greg will bring
maps/information to the lunch)
9:00pm - whenever - Cocktail Party
Nils & Linda Luehrmann
4917 China Garden Dr.
(West Austin, in River Place off 2222 between 360 & 620)
342-1607
MAP
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks