Ready for another Austin meet???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin Dunn, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Well, it's been more than a month since the last meet, so now it's time to start planning the next one!
    So once again, I'm opening up discussion for the next Home Theater Forum meet for Austin, TX (and surrounding areas).
    From the last meet, plans for a demo at Sound Mind Audio fell through. This time, we can attempt to revive those plans and see some new stuff...
    Also at the last meet, there were several people interested in visiting the Home Theater Store but hadn't been yet. This time, we can incorporate a return visit there for everyone who hasn't been yet.
    So let's decide:
    - WHEN
    - WHERE to have lunch
    - WHO will host?
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

2. Korey McAlpin

I wanna be in it..Sorry I didnt make it to the last one i still dont have my house back from the mold situation grrrrrr i havent got to hear a system in 4 months.
    So i most definitely will go this time hopefully.

3. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I am planning on going but the HT Gods have seen fit to throw something at me right before each meet. I hope I make this one.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

4. Shawn McBride

Shawn McBride Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same boat as Doug_H. I actually tried to make one meet but couldn't find the restaraunt! [​IMG]
    I'm going to be out of town on the second weekend in March (the 10th, I believe) so if you guys can avoid that weekend I'll try my best to show up this time...
    I had a great time in the HomeTheater Store a while back. Lots of cool higher-end setups. The sales guy was cool and really excited about everything he showed me. And that room in the back with the Nautilus setup... [​IMG]
    Shawn.

5. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Howdy all. If we have it at the end of March, y'all can get me a birthday present. [​IMG] My birthday is the 29th. I figure that weekend is booked, but any other is fine.
    ------------------
    Jeff Blair
    A little boy asked his father, "Daddy, how much does it cost to get
    married?" And the father replied, "I don't know son, I'm still paying.
    My DVD's

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Hi, keep up the momentum. Sound Mind sounds like a place I'd like to visit, and back to the H.T. Store would be fine also. I might bring my Tempest 15" sonosub with integral amp along for the ride. Anybody have a FPTV setup? Colin, have you decided on a front projector yet?
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jeff, consider the door prize your birthday prize. If you get one, I get a belated one for my January birthday - a blonde or a BMW will do nicely, thank you.
    Any more takers? Any voluteer homes? Hello out there...

8. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Hank - the silence this time around is deafening. [​IMG] Have most people in Austin lost interest in home theater over the last 2 months? Or is the economic downturn so bad that everyone hocked their HT equipment? God I hope not...
    I suggest we have the meet on March 17. We could start out with lunch (and maybe some green beer) for St. Patrick's day, then proceed to the stores and demos.
    Unfortunately, my place won't be ready until mid- to late April. I will try to host the meet after this one.
    The projector question is still open. I'm currently thinking about the NEC VT540 or LT155, which can be had for about $3,500 and $4,500, respectively. These are XGA-resolution LCD projectors that compare favorably with DLPs, according to reviews at Projector Central ( http://www.projectorcentral.com ). There's also the LT150, but with a list price of $7K (and a street price above $5K), that's too close to VPL-W10HT territory. For over $5K on the street, I could be looking at used D-ILAs (gotta love that 1365x1024 resolution!) or a VPL-W10HT (true HDTV at 1280x720 and designed for HT from the ground up!).
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

9. Korey McAlpin

Im way behind on HT stuff now haha Ive been outta my house for almost 4 months cause of the water heater and mold and insurance so slow i havent seen a movie in 4 months...I dont even know half the stuff I did know grrrrrr i need my house back...That only reason i didnt make it to the last one i didnt lose interest just im so behind ill be shy if i meet.

10. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Korey - don't worry so much about being HT-less for the last 4 months. I've been shut away in an apartment for more like 8 months waiting for a house to get built. The house probably won't be ready for another 6-8 weeks, so I know what that's like... [​IMG]
    So any votes for/against March 17 as the big day? Anyone want to nominate a place for lunch? (Just as long as it's NOT Enchiladas Y Mas on Anderson...)
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

11. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Hey guys. I missed the last meet but I am certainly going to try and make the next one. I could host probably the first weekend of April. I am just starting to get the finishing touchs on the room but it is a slow process with 2 kiddos. I've had the room up and running for a little while now but I'm just not happy enough with it yet to show it off. I also need to spend one good day really tweeking the projector, (damn this being self employed, you never can call in sick because the boss knows your lying.) If someone wants to host before then I will just do the next one, I don't mind. I live south of town. Let me know.
    Equipment List.
    Acurus ACT-3 pre/pro
    Acurus A125x5 amp
    Toshiba 3109 DVD
    Pioneer CLD-704 laserdisc player
    Zenith PRO-880 projector
    75" wide 16x9 screen.
    P.S. My brother inlaw has been bugging me for a showing of Raiders of the Lost Ark on laserdisc, but I can make him wait till the meet anyone would like to watch it. I can't believe this still isn't on dvd, I've had the laserdisc for over 6 years.
    Greg Risley

12. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Greg - if you want to host in April, I can't make it on the March 31-April 1 or April 7-8 weekends. Even April 14-15 may be dicey for me, pushing the meet all the way out to April 21. I say we have a meet in March, then you can host one in late April. That should give you more time to finish the room and tweak that projector to perfection. (By the way, which projector are you using?).
    My house should be done and I should be set up by the late May/early June time-frame.
    Anyone have a setup they want to show off during March? I know Doug_H also had expressed interest in hosting at one point, but his place was flooded two days before the meet and he had to cancel. I think he's done with the repairs and remodeling now, but haven't seen him show up in this thread yet...
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

13. Kevin_R

Kevin_R Auditioning

Hello everyone. I post very rarely on the forum. But I do read it alot. I am trying to get more involved. I am a Home Theater addict. [​IMG] I'm glad to see there are other people in the Austin area to share my addiction with. I would like some info in joining the meet if possible.
    -Kevin
    My current home theater set-up
    Denon AVR-4800
    Outlaw 750 Amp
    Paradigm Ref Studio 60's
    Paradigm Studio CC
    Paradigm Ref Studio 20
    Paradigm Servo 15 Sub
    Sony KP53XBR300
    Toshiba SD5109
    Monster HTS5000
    I actually have another speaker set not being used right now.
    NHT 2.5's
    NHT AC-2
    NHT 1.5's

14. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Kevin -
    Welcome to the Austin HT meets! I've put you on my mailing list for meet announcements. Keep watching this thread, because this is where we hash out our plans.
    We're still trying to find someone who can host a meet in March - probably on the 17th or 24th. We also haven't yet decided on a lunch spot, or arranged any demonstrations with retailers. Basically, we're starting from scratch on this one!!!
    We've had three meets in Austin so far. All of them have followed pretty much the same format - we start out meeting for lunch. Then we visit some stores that sell home theater hardware and/or software. After that, we retire to an HTF member's place to ogle their setup.
    Do you have any ideas to get the ball rolling?
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

15. Korey McAlpin

Well while u guys are at it does anyone on here know bout the huge mesh satellites i wanna fix the one in my backyard then sell it but i dunno anything bout it hehehe.
    P.S.my stuff is so petty to what u guys have grrrr ehehhe

16. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Don't worry Korey, the centerpiece of mine is the Sony 200 DVD/CD changer. [​IMG]
    As for the dates, either one should work for me. The weekend after the 29th is not good for me, my birthday weekend. Other than that, everything else should be ok.
    ------------------
    Jeff Blair
    A little boy asked his father, "Daddy, how much does it cost to get
    married?" And the father replied, "I don't know son, I'm still paying.
    My DVD's

17. Kevin_R

Kevin_R Auditioning

Hi Colin,
    I don't have any ideas as of yet. I have a real small 1 story house with barely enough room to put the equipment in. The good thing is I am building a house that will be ready in Sept. I am turning the large bedroom over the garage into a Home Theater / Media Room. I will be looking eventually to get ideas on how to deck out the room. I am hoping to sell my 4800 and Outlaw 750 to enable me to get the Denon 5800 or the B & K AVR307 receivers. Wish me luck!
    -Kevin

18. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Hey guys I just might be able to host this shin-dig on Mar 24.
    My extremely understanding wife let me spend most of today working on the theater instead of the very long list of honey-dos I already have waiting. I have spent the greater part this evening calibrating the projector. I have it looking better than I ever have before. I also painted the front wall a nice dark color and really helps the image quality.
    I only have 2 nice chairs, 2 desk chairs, and 2 folding lawn chairs. So seating is a little limited, my room is only 12' x 17'. I will check with my wife in the morning, but I think she will be open to the meet taking place over here.
    Let me know if this date is okay.
    Greg

19. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Hey where did everybody go. Well the wife has given me the green light for Mar. 24th so lets get this ball rolling. My vote is Chewys on Research for lunch, and as far as shops to check out I have no favorite yet because I haven't made any purchases of equipment since I moved here 6 months ago.
    If anyone has a SACD, DVDaudio, or real top notch cd player, feel free to bring'em because that is what I am considering for my next purchase.
    Also I have 2 brand new Chase Tech. remote control pre-amps still in thier boxes, and I will put one of these up as a door prize.
    See a description here. www.soundcity.com/bin/product.php?product_id=35
    Let me know guys
    Greg

20. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Greg - I'm up for March 24th. I'll blast out another announcement to my mailing list tonight (comprised of past and current meet attendees) to see if this drums up some more interest...
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn