What's new

reading a xover for my mystery diy speakers (1 Viewer)

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OK so I have this speaker that I have taken apart and figured out the drivers and what not. for me to recreate these speakers (which is my ultimate goal) how would I go about reading specs from the xovers. I really think there are just some simple freq caps and thats it. ill look more intensley tonite. tommorrow ill post whats on the pieces.

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
You can read the ratings for the capacitors and resistors, as they will most likely have them printed on them.

For the inductors you will need an inductance meter to measure what value they are.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
wow a helpful person, thank you very much. Ill see if my little pocket meter has that.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Your little pocket meter won't have an inductance funtion more than likely. You could take the crossovers to an electronics repair shop and probably get the inductors measured. Call a few first to see if you can find one that's willing.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Mike, you may get lucky and find a sticker on the inductors that reveals their value. I know when I ordered mine from Madisound they each had a little price-gun type sticker on the spool with the uf rating.

Oh.. also, depending on how complex the crossover is, you might be able to "earball" the crossover point by listening to different test tones in the speaker and figuring out where it hands off. Once you have the crossover frequency roughly, you could look at the crossover and determine what order it is and just design something similar. It may not be exactly the same, but it'll get you in the ballpark.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I don't mean to sound nitpicky, but inductor values are expressed in mH, not uF. That would make it a capacitor. :)

Mike, I can't remember if you said or not, but where did you get these speakers? Also, did you find out what tweeter is used in the speakers?

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OK ill come clean. My brother just bought a house and these speakers were hanging up in his garage. Im assuming the previous owner left them there. While helping fix up the house I convinced him to let me check them out cause they definately were not a manufactured speaker. He got upset cause I always have the better stereo equip. Im definately going to keep these and give my brother my infinity bookshelf speakers. he just wants descent speakers in his garage. I stole them but only from my brother. heck he stole my mini disk player to record his band so why not :>

this weekend Ill have to check out the tweeter (which looks like it had been replaced. i put it back together and back on the stand so I could listen to it.. p

well i appreciate the help even though Im a bit impatient. what this will do is a backwards lesson on DIY for me. I hope to learn something from this.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Ooops! :b Boy, have I been using my inductors wrong! ;)

Well, that's what I meant.

I didn't even realize I typo'd that, thanks, Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks