RCA "High Performance" Video System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

http://www.rca.com/content/productsp...CI105,00.html?
    What in the world is this?
    I had dinner with a friend tonight and he claimed he bought an HDTV for $450. Naturally I suspected he'd been straight lied to by the salesman at the store he bought it at, but I was curious enough to do a search of RCA's site. I found his set (url above) and it speaks of a "High Performance Video System" that sports 705 lines of horizontal resolution. What is this? It isn't HDTV but its not standard definition either, is it? How would he take advantage of such a set? It doesn't have Component inputs, so I'm confused as to how RCA can claim this is anything but a standard-def television.
    Secondly, how to I tell my friend nicely that the salesman lied to him straight out and that his TV isn't even a very good standard defintion set (no component inputs on a new 32" TV would be my standard of a sub-par set)? I suppose the best policy is to just leave it alone, but he's talking of buying another set for his home theater and I feel an obligation to at least steer him towards a set with component inputs.

2. Dylan Savage

Dylan Savage Stunt Coordinator

I fail to see the point of component inputs if they aren't carrying a progressive signal at the very least.

3. Dave Schofield

Component (and S-Video) bypasses the Comb Filter. On regular TVs the advantage over S-Video is very small, but it is there.

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

5. Dave Schofield

But its not HDTV ready without component inputs, so those lines are completely useless... right?

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Correct. Like putting tires rated to 170MPH on a moped. Still only going to go 15 MPH.

You can have him ask if there is a restocking fee if he returns the one he got; I think he could probably do pretty good for a little bit more ($50 or so).

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    This appears to be a standard television (not HDTV). TVs have been advertised for years as having 500, 700, 800 or more lines of horizontal resolution. I've never understood what the benefit was, but more is better, right?

In any case, your friend did not buy a HDTV. He got a run-of-the-mill RCA.