What's new

RCA 38310 or Toshiba 40H80??!! (1 Viewer)

Robert_V

Agent
I have gotten my TV choices down to the RCA 38310 Direct View 38" HDTV (~$3000) vs. the Toshiba 40H80 40" RP/HD TV (~$2000).
I am torn and would really like some input from everyone here.
I am living in an high-rise apartment where the viewing distance to the TV will be about 8', and side wall is all windows (glare concern). Is 8' distance from screen to close for the rear projection??
I really like the picture from both sets and am not totally sure which way to go. I view primarily DVD's (~80% viewing time) and have AT&T Digital cable.
Thanks for the help!!
Rob

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it will probably come down to a few different issues.
1. The RCA has an HD tuner built in; the Toshiba doesn't. Is this important to you?
2. The RCA weighs a ton; it is a BIG direct view- is that important to you?
3. The RCA has no light directivity issues, so lying on the floor, being way off axis, etc., does not degrade the picture compared with an RPTV like the Tohsiba. Is that important to you?
4. The Toshiba is capable of a very good picture, but most RPTV's reuqire a little more attention out of the box to get dialed in for convergence, etc. However, with a modicum of effort, very good results can be had. Is setup effort or knowledge an issue for you?
I've owned several Toshiba pieces, including an RPTV, which my daughter still has. All have been qood quality, and delivered good to excellent performance. However, it's interesting that in dropping by my local Best Buy a few times recently, the best picture (i.e., most natural, detailed, least like "video" was from the RCA direct veiw, not any of the big RPTV's they have on hand, including the Toshibas. Setup? yes, that's an issue that can be fixed. But even my girlfriend, looking at PBS demo loop material, thought the RCA set was the winner. Now, who'd have thought? And frankly, RCA is not someone who comes to mind when I think of sources for high end, high quality home consumer electronics. But, you should probably check it out carefully. I wouldn't mind having one of those in my bedroom to replace my current set- which is an NEC 29" presentation monitor that is no slouch.
Regarding the ATT&T digital cable, my condolences. Scaling up soft overfiltered MPEG artifacted NTSC to a large screen may not produce the most pleasing results. On either of these sets, a good progressive scan DVD player will be a worthwhile investment. Also, be sure to calibrate with AVIA or VE, and make sure neither the contrast or sharpness are turned up too high.
Regards,
Jon

Marc B

Auditioning
I have the 40H80 and I have it in a room in the basement that has only one window that is covered 100%. I cannot imagine enjoying this fabulous tv in a room that I could not control the light. To really appreciate the 40H80 you need to tweak the settings properly and after that is done it really can't be watched with any glare. If I were in your situation I'd definately go with the RCA.

Robert_V

Agent
Jon & Marc:
Thanks for your inputs, definetly food for thought.
I think I am more and more siding to the RCA, the built in HD tuner is a nice thing to have, sun light considerations come to mind more than anything else. I do not mind the "tweaking" or setting up of a RPTV, I actually enjoy that type of thing being an engineer.
Of course, anymore opinions are welcome!!!
THANKS,
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks