Rate this receiver/speaker package

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by josh_oj, Sep 12, 2005.

1. josh_oj

josh_oj Auditioning

I'm new to av stuff so I wasn't sure if this is a good deal and if the components are good.....or if I should put a set together myself. I am worried I'll buy something that will be crap and not realize it. Thanks for looking.

[EDIT] well, it won't let me post a link yet, so here's the write up:

OneCall Package: Harman Kardon and Infinity 5.1 Channel Home Theater System
    Jump To: Features | Supplied Accessories
    Harman Kardon and Infinity

In this OneCall home theater package, Harman Kardon's high-powered AVR635 A/V receiver supplies a set of matched speakers from Infinity's Beta line with an abundance of audio power. And Infinity's PS10 powered subwoofer pumps out plenty of pulse-pounding, floor-thumping sound.

Harman Kardon AVR635 7.1 Channel AV Receiver
    Power meets power. The AVR635 combines the sonic power of a high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier with the computer power of Texas Instruments' most advanced audio DSP to deliver unparalleled performance.

Infinity Speaker Bundle: Huge Dual Woofers, Plus a Powered Sub!

The speaker bundle includes two Infinity Beta50 two-way floorstanding speakers with dual 8-inch woofers, two BetaES250 two-way surround sound speakers with dual 6.5-inch woofers, the wall-mountable BetaC360 center-channel speaker, and the PS10 250-watt, 10-inch powered subwoofer. Together with Infinity's patented Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm(TM) technology, the combination delivers incredibly lifelike sound and maximum bass excitement.

# (1) Harman Kardon AVR635 7.1 Channel AV Receiver (View Complete Details)
    # Infinity Beta50 Black Floorstanding Speaker x 2 (View Complete Details)
    # Infinity BetaES250 Black Surround Speaker x (2) (View Complete Details)
    # Infinity BetaC360 Black Center-Channel Speaker (View Complete Details)
    # Infinity PS10 Powered Subwoofer (View Complete Details)

or feel free to post thoughts on their other receiver packages. the site is onecall and if you search a little, you can see the other packages. thanks again.

2. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

The 635 is an excellent receiver and I've heard good things about the Infinity Beta series.

However it's extremely rare to find a package system that actually delivers a good quality to price ratio compared to smart shopping online for individual components.

For instance, I'd be willing to bet that a Hsu or SVS would eat that Infinity sub for lunch and not cost much more.

Let's see, what would I buy for $2441 shipped?

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 l/r with stands, 340center, 170 surrounds, plus Hsu STF-2 sub for $1776 shipped from ascendacoustics.com
    +
    HK 635 from onecall.com for $735 shipped
    =$2511.

Much better speakers and sub for an extra $70. (Ascend also carries HK receivers but you'd have to ask them directly how much they'd discount it for as part of such a large order, they might be even lower than onecall's price.)

Personally though I'd skip the HK and buy a $228 (shipped) pure digital Panasonic sa-xr55, put the savings into a better sub or CD player. Do a search on the avsforum.com and ecoustics.com forums for the Panny, it's an incredible value.

I would also skrimp on the surrounds since they only do about 10% of the work in most movies, and also because I don't plan on doing any SACD or DVD-A multichannel music---a pair of Athena AS-B1s is just $100 from audioadvisor.com for instance.

3. John S

John S Producer

I'd rate it a "b+" with the sub getting a "C".

I overkill subs though, "Cause that's the kind of guy I am" [​IMG]

4. josh_oj

josh_oj Auditioning

good stuff. thanks all [​IMG]

5. josh_oj

josh_oj Auditioning

well, I think the ascend thing looks like the best idea. while I'm at it, any recommendations on a new tv? I was thinking about the Samsung LN-R409D but heard that there's some new technology coming soon and so on. I'd be looking to spend about 2-3 grand......

thanks for looking. I suppose if this doesn't work, I can post it in the tv section......

6. John S

John S Producer

The mods won't like it if we suggest / discuss displays in this area. Make a new post in displays please.