2) Marantz 7200

3) Pioneer 36TX

4) Other suggestions

Complete set of speakers -sub around $2000

1) Psb

2) Monitor

3) Energy

4) Other suggestions

I have auditioned B&W, DT, AT, Klipsch, NHT, Boston and Energy. I like Energy the best so far but I'm very new to this so I'm not sure. I don't know anyone who sells PSB or Monitor in St.louis so I would like some feedback on those two.

Sub around $500?

Good online HT places to purchase equipment?

Sorry for so many questions but I figured this is the place to ask as I don't want to go into this totally blind.

BrentC

Agent
Hey I guess I'll chime in
Receiver: I would stay away from the marantz do a search and you will find numerous reports of major audio dropout problems with the x200 series. I think most people including myself would suggest the Denon.
As for speakers the Energy's have a great reputation around here. I would also suggest you look into Paradigm Speakers great great speakers. Also If you are feeling a bit artistic I would suggest nOrh speakers www.nOrh.com
Some people Love the look some hate it but they are shaped that way for a reason...SOUND... You could get 5 Ceramic 4.0s for 995 shipped. you can do some research on this forum or at HarmonicDiscord.com If you want to here them I am sure that a nOrh owner in the area would be happy do give you an in home demo.Or If you want something a lttle more traditional looking Swan Divas http://av123.com/divaproducts.html
These fit into your budget nicely.
For the sub you should look at SVS. Especially if you have a spare amp or old reciver laying around to power it. If so the I would suggest the 20-39cs. ($449) If you search HTF or Audioreview.com for SVS you will see TONS of happy customers. If you don't have an amp or receiver to spare. You could get a powered version but that will take you a bit over your woofer budget(But you could pull that out of the money you save getting those nOrhs) The point is anyone who is considering a sub should at least check out http://SVSubwoofers.com If you want something in your budget or less Cyllindrical check out the Adire Rava http://adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm for $400 It is an exellent sub. Anyway you go you Money Stretches A LOT further on-line that In Brick and Mortor stores

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I will also add these to your list to audition..

Receiver: Onkyo DS-TX787 , DS-797, DS-898

Speakers: Acoustic Research AR9 Towers, AR 15 Bookshelf's

and AR4C Center

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I recently purchased the Denon 3802 after much research. I felt it had the best features / value for what I was looking for. (I also felt confident after owning a 3300 for a year or so)

As far as a sub, I only have experiece with 3 brands...all around $500: HSU VTF2, Klipsch & Infinity. I can highly recommend the HSU. It's also ranks among the top subs regardless of price!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks