Rate this equiptment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Jay, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Brad Jay

Brad Jay Agent

Dec 1, 2001
    85% Video 15% Audio 16x19 room with vaulted ceilings

Receivers under $700

1) Denon 3802

2) Marantz 7200

3) Pioneer 36TX

4) Other suggestions

Complete set of speakers -sub around $2000

1) Psb

2) Monitor

3) Energy

4) Other suggestions

I have auditioned B&W, DT, AT, Klipsch, NHT, Boston and Energy. I like Energy the best so far but I'm very new to this so I'm not sure. I don't know anyone who sells PSB or Monitor in St.louis so I would like some feedback on those two.

Sub around $500?

Good online HT places to purchase equipment?

Sorry for so many questions but I figured this is the place to ask as I don't want to go into this totally blind.
  2. BrentC

BrentC Agent

Nov 26, 2001
    Receiver: I would stay away from the marantz do a search and you will find numerous reports of major audio dropout problems with the x200 series. I think most people including myself would suggest the Denon.
    As for speakers the Energy's have a great reputation around here. I would also suggest you look into Paradigm Speakers great great speakers. Also If you are feeling a bit artistic I would suggest nOrh speakers www.nOrh.com
    Some people Love the look some hate it but they are shaped that way for a reason...SOUND... You could get 5 Ceramic 4.0s for 995 shipped. you can do some research on this forum or at HarmonicDiscord.com If you want to here them I am sure that a nOrh owner in the area would be happy do give you an in home demo.Or If you want something a lttle more traditional looking Swan Divas http://av123.com/divaproducts.html
    These fit into your budget nicely.
    For the sub you should look at SVS. Especially if you have a spare amp or old reciver laying around to power it. If so the I would suggest the 20-39cs. ($449) If you search HTF or Audioreview.com for SVS you will see TONS of happy customers. If you don't have an amp or receiver to spare. You could get a powered version but that will take you a bit over your woofer budget(But you could pull that out of the money you save getting those nOrhs) The point is anyone who is considering a sub should at least check out http://SVSubwoofers.com If you want something in your budget or less Cyllindrical check out the Adire Rava http://adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm for $400 It is an exellent sub. Anyway you go you Money Stretches A LOT further on-line that In Brick and Mortor stores
  3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Jan 17, 1999
    I recently purchased the Denon 3802 after much research. I felt it had the best features / value for what I was looking for. (I also felt confident after owning a 3300 for a year or so)

As far as a sub, I only have experiece with 3 brands...all around $500: HSU VTF2, Klipsch & Infinity. I can highly recommend the HSU. It's also ranks among the top subs regardless of price!