'Ran' SE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Methinks this is a good question for the chat with the folks from Anchor Bay. I could have sworn they said last year that a remastered/restored DVD was on the way this year. (New prints made it around to some of the larger cities late last year/early this year.) I've heard nothing but bad things about the Fox Lorber DVD and have avoided it.
    Anchor Bay did issue a wonderful looking DVD of Diva this summer. Fox Lorber/Winstar had previously put one out. Maybe it's just a matter of rights expiring.
    (And although it's off topic, let me just briefly rant on the shambles that is MGM's DVD of Truffaut's Mississippi Mermaid. Just finished watching it and what a disservice. Small Change didn't look all that great on DVD as I recall, but I don't remember it being this bad.)
    ------------------
    Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
    Most recent reviews: WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom, Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection
    Most recent column: Panning P&S

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

From what I heard, Anchor Bay picked up the rights before Winstar was even asked to renew, they said "hey!" AB said "Are you going to do the film properly this time?" They said "We swear", so AB sold them the rights back
    Jeff Kleist

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Should we start a petition? [​IMG]
    I guess we should figure out who has the rights first.
    ------------------

6. Adrian_P

Adrian_P Stunt Coordinator

Would love to see a Special Edition of this film. Would pick it up immediately. I always thought that Winstar had the rights to this.

7. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, there seem to have been a few threads here lately about revisiting 'Ran'. With the restoration that was shown in the theaters last year (or was it earlier this year?), I was thinking we would definitely be seeing a Special Edition...and I'm eagerly awaiting one.
    Ian
    ------------------

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'd love to see an S.E. of Ran. I'd really like to see it in a boxed-set with Kagemusha, Dreams, and Rhapsody in August. Hey, I can dream, can't I? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if use that line in my next western?"

9. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Please PLEASE let there be an SE of this great movie. I bought the current DVD, not having seen the movie, and the picture and sound quality leave something to be desired! I asked criterion and they have absolutely no plans. Damn.
    Mike

10. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but even in their LD days, I don't think Criterion ever produced a disc of Ran (or for that matter, Kagemusha or any of Kurosawa's 1980's/1990's work). Too bad. Think what they could've done with a DVD release, as opposed to the insulting job Fox Lorber did.... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Mark K. Lee
    "Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
    - Tom Lehrer

11. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

12. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Could someone please please please ask what is up with the rights during the Achor Bay chat on the 18th. We need to know what could be happening with this title.
    ------------------

13. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

The LD version of Ran that I have is by CBS/Fox. They did an excellent job for the times.
    rw

14. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Basically it amounts to the same thing