What's new

'Ran' SE? (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Methinks this is a good question for the chat with the folks from Anchor Bay. I could have sworn they said last year that a remastered/restored DVD was on the way this year. (New prints made it around to some of the larger cities late last year/early this year.) I've heard nothing but bad things about the Fox Lorber DVD and have avoided it.
Anchor Bay did issue a wonderful looking DVD of Diva this summer. Fox Lorber/Winstar had previously put one out. Maybe it's just a matter of rights expiring.
(And although it's off topic, let me just briefly rant on the shambles that is MGM's DVD of Truffaut's Mississippi Mermaid. Just finished watching it and what a disservice. Small Change didn't look all that great on DVD as I recall, but I don't remember it being this bad.)
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom, Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection
Most recent column: Panning P&S

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't hold my breath.
frown.gif

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/028995.html
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/029783.html
- Walter.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
From what I heard, Anchor Bay picked up the rights before Winstar was even asked to renew, they said "hey!" AB said "Are you going to do the film properly this time?" They said "We swear", so AB sold them the rights back
Jeff Kleist

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Should we start a petition? :)
I guess we should figure out who has the rights first.
------------------

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
Would love to see a Special Edition of this film. Would pick it up immediately. I always thought that Winstar had the rights to this.

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, there seem to have been a few threads here lately about revisiting 'Ran'. With the restoration that was shown in the theaters last year (or was it earlier this year?), I was thinking we would definitely be seeing a Special Edition...and I'm eagerly awaiting one.
Ian
------------------

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd love to see an S.E. of Ran. I'd really like to see it in a boxed-set with Kagemusha, Dreams, and Rhapsody in August. Hey, I can dream, can't I? :)
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if use that line in my next western?"

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Please PLEASE let there be an SE of this great movie. I bought the current DVD, not having seen the movie, and the picture and sound quality leave something to be desired! I asked criterion and they have absolutely no plans. Damn.
Mike

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but even in their LD days, I don't think Criterion ever produced a disc of Ran (or for that matter, Kagemusha or any of Kurosawa's 1980's/1990's work). Too bad. Think what they could've done with a DVD release, as opposed to the insulting job Fox Lorber did....
furious.gif

------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
From what I heard, Anchor Bay picked up the rights before Winstar was even asked to renew, they said "hey!" AB said "Are you going to do the film properly this time?" They said "We swear", so AB sold them the rights back
Oh Christ! Not Winstar(Fox Lorber). They will fuck it up a second time. I know they will. This news really sucks as I was counting on an Anchor Bay edition, I wonder why in the hell they would bother selling the rites back to Winstar
confused.gif

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Could someone please please please ask what is up with the rights during the Achor Bay chat on the 18th. We need to know what could be happening with this title.
------------------

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
From what I heard, Anchor Bay picked up the rights before Winstar was even asked to renew, they said "hey!" AB said "Are you going to do the film properly this time?" They said "We swear", so AB sold them the rights back.
No offense, but that is so wrong it is laughable. How can Anchor Bay "sell the rights back" to something they never had to begin with. Yes, I know Anchor Bay was in negotiations to aquire the rights and was either unable or unwilling to aquire them.
I'm not sure if it has been posted elsewhere, but here is the exchange from the last Anchor Bay Chat:
Tim Raffey: Hi, and thanks for coming. Last chat you announced (almost in passing) Akira Kurasowa's RAN. Less than 3 weeks later, Winstar announced that they'd re-release it in their HTF chat. I was wondering what the deal was (and I must admit I am a little worried, seeing as how Winstar distributed the theatrical re-release...not that I don't have faith in them... I just have more faith in you :)). Thanks.
Michael Felsher: Tim thanks for asking this. We originally had planned to distribute RAN in 2002. However due to Winstar's plans to restore the film and reissue it, we have opted not to distribute it in the end. Tim, I have faith that Winstar will do a wonderful new job on their next RAN dvd..they obviously care about that film a great deal.
It is my understanding that Anchor Bay chose to back out of the bidding based on Winstar's decision to release a new anamorphic special edition. They figured most people would not want to re-purchase the title a year or two later if Winstar did a good job.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks