What's new

Ran out of inputs on my Apple Airport Extreme Router (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What can I say? I need an additional inputs.

Is there a device I can buy to plug into this router to make
additional input(s) available?

Will adding such a device compromise performance?

Thanks as always

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Sure a gigabit ethernet switch will do the trick, there are models with various numbers of inputs.

Can't recommend a particular brand/make as I haven't run into this issue (yet). Maybe someone else can chime in.

Ted

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, a basic switch (not another router) should do the trick. There is a small bottleneck created by doing this, but it isn't a big deal. Just plug all your highest bandwidth items (computers, HDs) directly into the Airport and the lesser ones (printers, etc) into the switch. You just plug one of the ports from the AirPort into the #1 port of the new switch and then other peripherals into the other ports.

You may not really need a gigabit switch, but for the little extra price, why not. Also, I presume this is a gigabit Airport, if not, there is no need for a gigabit switch. I'm a little pressed for time, so I can't respond more completely right now.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator

I don't think so. What you can do, though, is plug 10/100 devices in to it, and gigabit devices straight in to the base station. OTOH, just look for a gigabit switch as they're not that nuch more expensive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just remember to plug the ethernet cable into the "uplink" port, not the "WAN" port, of the new switch / router. As I said in the linked thread, this worked without any configuration of my Mac's Airport Utility software.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dave, I think you meant to say not to plug into a LAN port. the Uplink port is to go to the WAN. They're kind of the same thing. Basically, you plug the #1 port of the new switch into the Apple router.

FWIW, I'm not sure I would get a Dynax switch. I would tend to lean toward one of the better ones, such as Netgear or Linksys.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Ok, that's because it is a router/switch. Ron is talking about (and only needs) an Ethernet switch, since he already has an Apple router. Typically (at least on every switch I've seen) the #1 port is the "Uplink", which goes back toward the internet and main switch/router.

Between my home network and the one at our new building at work, where I am setting up the network, I have learned a lot about networking in just the last couple months.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Woah!! I almost forgot. Ron, HERE is an absolute rip-roaring deal on a NetGear 8 port gigabit switch for $34 delivered after a $15 rebate. You'll find that switch typically goes for $70-90. I just ordered one for the office. I'd jump on it before it ends.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

Good find.

There is another one I may order instead as it seems to
have gotten better ratings than the one you found. Can you
quickly look at this switcher and offer your opinion between the two?

And listen, just for the record, I use the OUTPUT from my Apple
router to the WAN INPUT on the Netgear switcher....yes?

And there should be no performance lost for anything hooked
up through the switcher?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have a netgear switch plugged into my Time Capsule and there's really nothing too it. Performance will be fast enough you won't notice if you're crossing over to the switch just make sure the ethernet cables you're using are rated for gigabit speeds (you should see green lights instead of orange indicating the higher speed)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Could really use a recommendation on which of the
two switchers I should buy as described in links
located in posts 11 and 12 above. Seemed the one
I linked to had better feedback but I want to make
certain as to which is more efficient.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, there should be no difference between the two stitches. The only difference is the number of ports and appearance. I believe the two NetGear lines are the same internally. Just the 1xx has the industrial housing and the 6xx has the nicer looking one. I have 2 netGear switches and hubs and they are both great. I always take negative feedback somewhat lightly, especially when the bulk of it is overwhelmingly positive, if you really think about it. Most people don't say anything unless there is a problem, and most of the time there is, it is user error.

As far as a slowdown, once you have more than one switch, you should think about where things are connected. Everything connected to the new switch will communicate between themselves at gigibit speed, but share one connection back to the Apple router. So, there is a slight chance of a slowdown there. In reality, gigibat is hugely fast. Anyway, that is why I suggested connecting any heavy use stuff (computers, hard drives, etc) to the Apple router, and lesser stuff (printers, etc) to the new switch.

Also, regarding the feedback on that switch, clearly I'm not concerned, since I ordered it for work. Once again, most people never don't give feedback unless they have a problem. So the balance gets kind of out of, balance...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So Ron, did you make a decision?

The Switch I ordered will be here Monday, but I won't be putting it into a action for a couple weeks, when our new building should be about ready to move into. I've been tempted to get one for myself, since it's such a great deal and I want to clean up my home network.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

Going to get the industrial Netgear but since its through
Amazon I am going to wait another few weeks as I doubt
that price will go up.

Appreciate all your help. I am buying, just have other
sudden priorities right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks