What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (1 Viewer)

JSLasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Steven Lasher
I would love to see “Raintree County” fully restored and released in its’ roadshow-length version. I produce the first authorised re-issue of the 2-disc stereo LP (later on CD) with the complete cooperation and blessing of John Green, the composer-conductor. It’s a wonderful film with a memorable score. #JohnStevenLasher#KinopanoramaWidescreenMotionPictures.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I would love to see “Raintree County” fully restored and released in its’ roadshow-length version. I produce the first authorised re-issue of the 2-disc stereo LP (later on CD) with the complete cooperation and blessing of John Green, the composer-conductor. It’s a wonderful film with a memorable score. #JohnStevenLasher#KinopanoramaWidescreenMotionPictures.
A soundtrack that I bought in both incarnations. Thanks for bringing it out.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Well uh, at least while we are waiting for news about a green light from WB (via George Feltenstein) to kickstart this expensive project [including faded 35mm Trims] good question what the condition of the 65mm OCN [General Release Version] are in, we have:

The Recent Master [General Release, shown on TCM]
The Film Score Monthly CD
And the 1999 VHS of the Roadshow Version (the late Martin Hart [for showcasing Roadshow Trims in Letterbox format on a deleted video on YouTube (the thumbnails were found on mefeedia.com) and Chuck Pennington were damn mighty lucky SOBs to get their hands on the "Special Widescreen Edition", while we grieve with the Pan-and-Scan Version of the film).

Attachments

• IMG_6171.png
    IMG_6171.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6172.jpeg
    IMG_6172.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6173.jpeg
    IMG_6173.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6174.jpeg
    IMG_6174.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6176.jpeg
    IMG_6176.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 24

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was gifted the soundtrack of Raintree County on CD by a friend because I was such a fan of its beautiful score by John Green. I enjoy watching the film at least once a year and wish I didn't have to depend on my TCM DVR recording. A Blu-ray would be most welcome. I'll never give up hoping for a release because we were told for so long that Brothers Grimm was too damaged and too expensive and yet we did eventually get it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I was gifted the soundtrack of Raintree County on CD by a friend because I was such a fan of its beautiful score by John Green. I enjoy watching the film at least once a year and wish I didn't have to depend on my TCM DVR recording. A Blu-ray would be most welcome. I'll never give up hoping for a release because we were told for so long that Brothers Grimm was too damaged and too expensive and yet we did eventually get it.
I still play my LD roadshow version once a year. I really would like to retire it for a Blu-ray.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I still play my LD roadshow version once a year. I really would like to retire it for a Blu-ray.
A: The 1994 MGM/UA LD (according to my research) release is basically the General Release Version with Overture and Entr'acte (even though the Act One Finale plays the Day Date [General Release] Cue, instead of the Roadshow Cue with Intermission Title, present on the 1999 Roadshow VHS and 2007 FSM CD.

B: I just hope WB can earn a good/great profit (from previous WAC BD releases) has enough remastering budget to kickstart an expensive Remastering Process beginning with the General Release Version, along with a Restoration of the Roadshow Version using 65mm OCN/YCM/IP etc. and 35mm Trims if no 70mm Trims are found, since the OCN deletions were junked after it's premiere (am I correct?)

Good Luck, George :)

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Apples and oranges

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Well uh, at least while we are waiting for news about a green light from WB (via George Feltenstein) to kickstart this expensive project [including faded 35mm Trims] good question what the condition of the 65mm OCN [General Release Version] are in, we have:

The Recent Master [General Release, shown on TCM]
The Film Score Monthly CD
And the 1999 VHS of the Roadshow Version (the late Martin Hart [for showcasing Roadshow Trims in Letterbox format on a deleted video on YouTube (the thumbnails were found on mefeedia.com) and Chuck Pennington were damn mighty lucky SOBs to get their hands on the "Special Widescreen Edition", while we grieve with the Pan-and-Scan Version of the film).
Filmstruck (R.I.P.) also had a not-so-great, but better than VHS version of the roadshow print for a while that was all in widescreen, but horizontally squeezed. I also recently stumbled upon a fan reconstruction of the roadshow using the general release master and an upscaled copy of the roadshow VHS.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Filmstruck (R.I.P.) also had a not-so-great, but better than VHS version of the roadshow print for a while that was all in widescreen, but horizontally squeezed. I also recently stumbled upon a fan reconstruction of the roadshow using the general release master and an upscaled copy of the roadshow VHS.
Using the Pan and Scan VHS Pressing (I say again the late Martin Hart [as now deleted YT username "HistoryOfWidescreen" (He is the reason why he inspired me to do comparision videos) thumbnails demonstrate] and Chuck Pennington (a.k.a. DVDFilmFun [Deleted] and Chuck Penn 3 on YouTube) [Second Inspiration of mine] were lucky to get the Widescreen Pressing)

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
A: The 1994 MGM/UA LD (according to my research) release is basically the General Release Version with Overture and Entr'acte (even though the Act One Finale plays the Day Date [General Release] Cue, instead of the Roadshow Cue with Intermission Title, present on the 1999 Roadshow VHS and 2007 FSM CD.

I have only seen the General Release version, so just to satisfy curiosity on my part, what did the intermission title look like?

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I have only seen the General Release version, so just to satisfy curiosity on my part, what did the intermission title look like?
Taken from the 1999 [Roadshow] VHS Pan and Scan Pressing, unlike the actual Widescreen one (Martin Hart, Chuck Penn had/have [@RolandL? You still have this Widescreen Pressing (Including red label) VHS Pressing preserved safe and sound?])

Attachments

• IMG_6241.png
    IMG_6241.png
    372.9 KB · Views: 28

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
I just finished reading Elizabeth & Monty by Charles Casillo. I've read at least 4 biographies about ET and there was new info I didn't know about including a lot about the making of Raintree. Definitely worth checking out.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Using the Pan and Scan VHS Pressing (I say again the late Martin Hart [as now deleted YT username "HistoryOfWidescreen" (He is the reason why he inspired me to do comparision videos) thumbnails demonstrate] and Chuck Pennington (a.k.a. DVDFilmFun [Deleted] and Chuck Penn 3 on YouTube) [Second Inspiration of mine] were lucky to get the Widescreen Pressing)
What was this widescreen pressing? Was that a rare edition of the roadshow VHS?

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
What was this widescreen pressing? Was that a rare edition of the roadshow VHS?
Image No. 1: With Widescreen Banner
Image No. 2: No Widescreen Banner (as my Roadshow VHS copy is Panned and Scanned)

@RolandL? Take over.

Attachments

• IMG_6328.jpeg
    IMG_6328.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6302.jpeg
    IMG_6302.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 26

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
He has been asked before and he mentioned that they have the OCN of the short version.
"The more you know…" [in recent times].

Hoping to retire my Pan-and-Scan 1999 Roadshow VHS, so we the people [collectors] can get a chance to watch the film with deletions in Widescreen for real, (70mm or 35mm Print Trims).

How well are the "MGM Camera 65 - The Window of the World" titles doing in recent times? (70mm General or Roadshow usually have large format titles intact).

Furthermore, what elements where used for the recent Master shown on TCM?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
"The more you know…" [in recent times].

Hoping to retire my Pan-and-Scan 1999 Roadshow VHS, so we the people [collectors] can get a chance to watch the film with deletions in Widescreen for real, (70mm or 35mm Print Trims).

How well are the "MGM Camera 65 - The Window of the World" titles doing in recent times? (70mm General or Roadshow usually have large format titles intact).

Furthermore, what elements where used for the recent Master shown on TCM?

I doubt that the window of the world titles are in worse shape than the rest of the movie, it is just a matter of going.

Previous 1080i master was probably done from 35mm elements. The time to release that has come and gone, pre-2010 would have been acceptable I guess.

After not releasing that they have to do better now and with todays tech even a quick and dirty scan of the roadshow prints would look better than that old master. Not saying that they should only go for 35mm elements but technology has come a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks