What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (8 Viewers)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Now that we are in the 60th anniversary year for Raintree County here's hoping that Warner will finally start to work on its most neglected (with regard to home video) large format title!

I'm still remaining cautiously optimistic that WB will do something to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Raintree.

Eva-Marie-Saint-Elizabeth-Taylor-and-Montgomery-Clift-in-Raintree-County-1957.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
As usual, IMDB has it wrong.

There were no 70mm prints. If they did, it would be 6-track stereo not 4.
The 35mm prints had 4-Track Stereo not Mono.

rcimd.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I said this before....

After sitting through years of reading post after post about this damn movie, I finally watched it two years ago.

It is still sitting on my DVR because I didn't want to delete it.

I really liked this film. I am totally onboard with you guys in wanting to see this released.

If you are reading this thread and still have not seen it, do catch the TCM showing.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Anyone who wants to see Elizabeth Taylor looking really slim should watch Love Is better Than Ever. It's available on a Warner Archive DVD-R.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As usual, IMDB has it wrong.

There were no 70mm prints. If they did, it would be 6-track stereo not 4.
The 35mm prints had 4-Track Stereo not Mono.

View attachment 36772

I'm fascinated by the Turner Library Print being 20 minutes longer than the original theatrical release.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
And if Raintree County was restored, does anyone have an idea which of these running times would be the victor?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'm fascinated by the Turner Library Print being 20 minutes longer than the original theatrical release.
And if Raintree County was restored, does anyone have an idea which of these running times would be the victor?

The 65mm trims that were done to the long version are presumed to be lost and that is one of the reasons Warner is not really sure what to do with Raintree County. So the short version would come out on top with regard to picture quality but according to those who have seen both the longer version seems to be the preferred one.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Again IMDB has it wrong.

The roadshow version is 188 minutes which I don't think TCM has anymore, This was shown on TCM many years ago from a collectors 35mm print. I made a copy of it on SVHS tape. That version was also released on VHS tape. So they show the shorter version that is 173 minutes. What is missing on the shorter version is:

-Nell and Garwood after graduation - 40 seconds
-Swamp 58 seconds
-Professor and John in cornfield 71 seconds
-John and Father illegitimacy discussion 1 minute, 53 seconds
-John, Bobby Drake and slave 2 minutes, 16 seconds
-John , Niles unfulfilled ambition 1 minute, 46 seconds [key scene]
-John going to homestead and Susanna in labor 55 seconds [the lead in uses an alternate take as well]
-John's Search in Indianapolis, visit to Garwood, photographer and Decision to enlist 4 minutes, 34 seconds
-Susanna's Decision and Search for the doll 35 seconds

Unless they could find the cuts we would be getting the shorter version. But It has been mentioned many times that it would be very expensive to restore and WB would be taking a big loss.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I really like this movie, too, and am joining everyone in hoping it will get a blu-ray release from WB soon. The John Green score is fabulous, as well.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I really like this movie, too, and am joining everyone in hoping it will get a blu-ray release from WB soon. The John Green score is fabulous, as well.

Hoping and expecting are two different things. I don't expect to see Raintree County on Blu-ray but I hope I'm proved wrong.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I said this before....

After sitting through years of reading post after post about this damn movie, I finally watched it two years ago.

It is still sitting on my DVR because I didn't want to delete it.

I really liked this film. I am totally onboard with you guys in wanting to see this released.

If you are reading this thread and still have not seen it, do catch the TCM showing.

Grateful for your support, Ron!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks