RadioShack cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by BrianKR, Aug 1, 2003.

1. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I saw these at a local Radio Shack Fusion AV cables
    I almost picked them up. Has anyone tried these cables?
    I am undecided on what cables to order online and I was just going to give up and run out and buy these but I need speaker cable, component, s-video and stereo cables as well, so I am patient.

I am replacing "all" of my cables and speaker wire in my room to match the new pre/pro and amp.

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I replaced a set of Monster component cables with a set of the Fusion A/V cables because of some chroma delay problems I had. After I put on the Fusion A/V cables, I checked chroma delay with Avia and guess what? No more delay! All colors lined up perfectly at 0 (whereas green and red were off with the Monster Cables). Picture quality was notably improved.

For the price, they're really sweet. And given that I was able to measure an objective difference by swapping cables, you can bet they get my recommendation!

3. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Those are probably excellent cables but no better than the ones you can get at heartlandcables.com or bluejeancables.com. That same cable at RS for 29.99 would cost $15 at heartland and $11.95 at bluejean (plus shipping). At $15 more per meter, per cable that adds up quick. Bluejean has cheaper shipping so that cable would be $11.95 + $5.75 = $17.70. A set of 3 component video cables would be around $42 shipped, etc, etc. Just another option, but yeah...those are good cables at RS.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well it's nice that your chroma delay went away, but since when was the group delay variation on cables under 500 feet bad enough to introduce a differential Y/C delay?

5. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Uh oh! [​IMG]

6. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Why do I want to replace all of my cables?
    Basically to have better quality cables and to give my whole system a cleaner appearance and make it easier to manage.
    I wouldn't mind having all the same manufacturers cables. I would at least like to use the same brand and proper lengths so I am not tripping over wires when I add or more equipment around.

Sound good?

Is there a place online that "you" would use all of their products for your entire setup?

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

8. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Official Notice: Let's keep the discussion on topic and not snipe at each other.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I acknowledged your chroma issue but assuming your cable lengths are typical, its unlikely the cable change was responsible for what you observed. Rather moving things around and some jostling may have had more of an effect. If you want an alternative source of information I'd be happy to give you someone at Belden whom you could discuss your findings with. Same goes for you Shane of course it means you might have to have a discourse with some scientific people...*shudder*.

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

maybe you didn't let them break in enough [​IMG] pity you didn't snap any digital pictures for posting.

13. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Awww, jeez! [​IMG]

14. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Interesting read Chu.
    Thx for the link.
    I am not looking to spend a fortune on cables. I'd rather spend it on room acoustic material and components.
    I just want some decent cable/wiring and more exact lengths.

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well hopefully it'll mean you've got a feel for what to look for and maybe pose some questions to at least maximize your 'theoretical' advantage.