HDMI Signal cutting in and out when ran through receiver, HELP!

rekbatani68

Auditioning
Real Name
Rez
Hello Everyone,
I'm fairly new to home audio and video but my situation is a bit complicated.
In our home theatre system we have an HDMI plug running between the receiver station and the projector station, unfortunately when it was installed there was far too little slack on either end, about 1 ft of slack on either side.
Because of this I've had to buy couplers, Radioshack brand, to attach additional HDMI cables so the cables could reach my units.
My situation at the moment is as follows. I currently have these three components Im trying to run in unison:
1. Sony A/V Receiver STR-DH520
2. Optoma HD 66 projector
3. Sony Blue Ray BDP-S185 DVD player.
When I plug my DVD player directly into the projector line I do receive a signal but I see very small white sparkling particles... These are not dust, they are from the picture.
However, when I plug the DVD player into my receiver the signal cuts in and out constantly, the white sparkles are super visible and all over the screen. Moreover the HDMI light on the receiver continues to blink. Sometimes the signal isn't even picked up by the projector at all!
So my question is how do I fix this problem? I've tried google, I've searched the forum, but no one seems to have a similar scenario. any information anyone on this forum can help me with would be greatly appreciated !

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
About how long is the HDMI cable that runs from the receiver area to the projector? If it's much over 20-25' then the quality of the cable does come into play, and it's possible that you will need to replace it with a beefier cable that you know is high-speed.

If the in-wall cable is of sufficient quality, then the addition of couplers "shouldn't" matter - in my basement system, I have a 25' HDMI cable I got from Monoprice, but I also have a short "patch" cable that runs from the back of my receiver to an HDMI wall plate, so there are essentially two extra connections along the chain. I've not had a problem at all.

rekbatani68

Auditioning
Real Name
Rez
It works fine when i do that, the problem is really evident when i plug the dvd player into the reciever.

rekbatani68

Auditioning
Real Name
Rez
The cable is also 25ft long, but it's a monster cable. Could it be an incompatabilty issue considering it's a blue ray player and a 720 projector?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just because you bought an OVERPRICED Monster HDMI doesn't mean anything.
Since it is 720P, technically you only need a STANDARD SPEED HDMI.
There are(for home use) 3 flavors of HDMI...
Standard Speed
High Speed
High Speed w/ ethernet
Anything else on the package is MEANINGLESS.
My opinion here...
You have too many cables connected together. Buy one from AVR to Proj and it should solve your problem. (and yes I realize your in-wall issue, but if you buy a long enough one and "try it first", you'll have your answer)
The one I recommend...
http://www.amazon.com/Installer-HDMI-Audio-Video-Cable/dp/B001LEZ5Q8/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349793439&sr=1-7&keywords=25ft+hdmi+vanco
But MonoPrice, BlueJeans, Cables to go....pick one.

rekbatani68

Auditioning
Real Name
Rez
Like I said it works when I plug it directly into the wall inserted HDMI, it's only when I plug it in through the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Upon reading reviews...
It seems all low-end Sony fall prey to lousy handshake...
But people only tend to review things when they don't work.
Edit:
Seems lots of AVR have issues recognizing Optoma projectors...(however most of the "I'm having HDMI problems" seem relegated to sub $400 Sony and Pioneer, in relation to Optoma)

rekbatani68

Auditioning
Real Name
Rez
i plugged the reciever and dvd player in directly and the connection is perfectly ear.
That being said what are my possible resolutions at this point?
It seems as though the in wall installed cable is the main source or the problem.I can't switch that cable out because it's installed into the wall.

rekbatani68

Auditioning
Real Name
Rez
Should i buy a quality coupler, like monster or something? Maybe the radioshack ones aren't cutting it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have no idea why you have a love affair with Monster...
http://www.amazon.com/Vanco-280328X-HDMI-In-Line-Coupler/dp/B004M8RZYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350059147&sr=8-1&keywords=vanco+hdmi+coupler
You might try one of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-42223-RapidRun-Inserter/dp/B001AJP3PM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350059261&sr=1-7&keywords=hdmi+amplifier

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The resolution to your problem is yanking the whole thing apart and putting in another one-piece HDMI. "Better" couplers or the "voltage injector" are band-aids.
However, you could try wireless HDMI.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan