What's new

R2: Monstes Inc & A Bugs Life in dts (1 Viewer)

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Oh well, it was a nice guess. There is a total of about 5 good AV shops in Hobart, including Harvey Norman! BTW, nice to see another Hobartian on HTF.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I just picked up my r3 2 disc version and can confirm that both r3 versions (1 disc & 2 disc) have the dts track.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Does it only have the Widescreen version on it? I noticed a lot of compression artifacts in Nooseman's (the spider) red vest, can you see the same in the R3 version?

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Yes the r3 version is widescreen only... I didn't notice any compression artifacts on the character you mention, but I will take another look tonight and let you know.

Just to clarify... the version I have is the r3 Hong Kong version from IVL.

YANG

Screenwriter
"How the hell did they fit 4 5.1 tracks on a DVD? Is there room for that?"
The R3 version was released several days back with DTS surr. with DD5.1 ENGLISH as well as dubbed 5.1Mandarin and 5.1Cantonese.The packaging is the almost the same as R2 digipak except that the discs had to be slip out from the bottom,not the side.
I assume that the local R3 version uses that same master as the IVL HK release.

The specs for the local R3 version is...
ANAMORPHIC WS 1.85:1
DTS5.1 ENGLISH
DD 5.1 ENGLISH
DD 5.1 DUBBED MANDARIN
DD 5.1 DUBBED CANTONESE
ENGLISH or TRADDITIONAL CHINESE subtitles
THX certified transfer(credited on packaging but do not shows up during playback)
NO THX OPTIMIZER
NTSC
2 DISC COLLECTOR'S EDITION

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
"How the hell did they fit 4 5.1 tracks on a DVD? Is there room for that?"

As Yang pointed out not only is it possible, but my r2 French releases of Sleepy Hollow & Dark City both have the following:
1)DTS 5.1 English
2)DTS 5.1 French
3)DD 5.1 English
4)DD 5.1 French

Yes, 2 DTS and 2 DD tracks and the picture quality doesn't suffer whatsoever. It's just a shame they didn't dump the DTS French and make the English DTS track full bitrate... but they are both fantastic discs nonetheless.

By the way Yang, the version you mention sounds identical to the IVL release, even down to the slipcase opening at the bottom.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"...It's just a shame they didn't dump the DTS French and make the English DTS track full bitrate..."
...ahh... you are in Australia, of all places, and gripe about a FRENCH release, destined in principle for the FRENCH market... ergo: a FRENCH person might just as righteously - in fact, with more reason - say (in FRENCH, natch!): "It's just a shame they didn't dump the DTS English and make the FRENCH dts track full bitrate..."
Q.E.D.
(notice: I'm not smiling!)
. . .

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
a FRENCH person might just as righteously - in fact, with more reason - say (in FRENCH, natch!): "It's just a shame they didn't dump the DTS English and make the FRENCH dts track full bitrate..."
The French would prefer a dubbed track to the original language track?

YANG

Screenwriter
DEAN,
The local release of SPIRITED AWAY have the same specs as the HK release by IVL.
I think the local distributor is using same master for BUENA VISTA animations as the HK release.

Mainstream movies seems to be like from other masters from other countries as these release some carries THAI dubbed tracks.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"The French would prefer a dubbed track to the original language track?"

...the average French moviegoer - yes, absolutely... and very likely the average French-speaking native of the Canadian Province of Quebec, too!...

...ditto - in spades! - for the average German moviegoer (in Germany even Italian operas are sung in German, f'chrissakes!)...

...ditto for the average Italian moviegoer...

...and possibly/probably ditto for the average Spanish moviegoer as well...

(notice: I'm still not smiling...)

. . .

Chad B.

Second Unit
Does anyone know where the R2 dts DVD of A Bug's Life can be purchased from? I haven't had any luck finding such a release. :frowning:

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"Does anyone know where the R2 dts DVD of A Bug's Life can be purchased from?..."
...ahh... if you are talking about PAL R2 EUROPE, as a member of this Forum since May 1999 you should by now know that there is no such thing as "the" R2 DVD ... reason: different strokes for different folks in different countries, where different languages are spoken...
...for instance, there is indeed a R2/FRANCE édition collector featuring a FRENCH dts soundtrack, as well as English and French DD 5.1 soundtracks...
...couldn't find any mention of DTS sound for this movie in Germany, Italy, Spain, Denmark or the UK...
...perhaps there is a Japanese (NTSC) release?...
. . . . . .

Chad B.

Second Unit
Obviously I'm trying to find the R2 UK version of A Bug's Life w/dts. This was mentioned in the very first post of this thread. As a member of this forum even longer than I have been how could you neglect to read the first post of this thread before replying? ;)

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...oops! my bad!!!... but it's still not "the" R2 release, so there!... he said, stubbornly...
. . . :D . . .

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
ok Hendrik there's no need to jump down my throat... You may or may not have noticed that I followed that comment with:
"but they are both fantastic discs nonetheless." implying that I'm more than happy with them. I just see it as a slightly missed opportunity that's all. If it was a French film, I would be saying they should've dumped the English DTS myself. Am I not allowed to express an opinion on this forum anymore? :angry:
'certains prennent cette merde trop sérieusement '

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
DeanWalsh: ...I didn't mean to jump down your (or anybody else's) throat and apologize most humbly :frowning: for giving that impression...
...what - on bad hair days, such as today - annoys the heck out of me me is that people whose native language happens to be some form of English don't seem to (don't want to?) understand a simple 'fact of life', to wit: that the FRENCH are used to seeing virtually ALL movies in FRENCH, just as the GERMANS are used to seeing virtually ALL movies in GERMAN, just as the ITALIANS are used to seeing virtually ALL movies in ITALIAN, and - possibly/probably - just as the SPANISH are used to seeing virtually ALL movies in SPANISH...
ergo
...if the FRENCH release an originally English-language movie on DVD, it will ALWAYS have a French-dubbed track - if they want to entice a certain section of the potential French buyers into getting a particular disc by adding a DTS track, NATURALLY - if there is going to be only ONE such track - this will be the FRENCH track, NOT the English one...
...just take it from me that the average Frenchman (and German, and Italian, and - possibly/probably - Spaniard) does NOT like - or even WANT - to watch subtitled movies... this may sadden you, but it is a simple fact ...
(Note: virtually ALL not-locally-produced TV programs in the countries mentioned are broadcast in the LOCAL LANGUAGE ONLY (think "Friends", "Boy Meets World", "Futurama", "Absolutely Fabulous", "Alf", "The Muppet Show", made-for-TV movies, BBC documentaries, "The Bold And The Beautiful", "Sex & The City", "Twin Peaks")...)
...now it so happens that DVDs are produced TO MAKE MONEY, not to please cinemahr-cognoscenti-with-exquisite-taste-in films - such as you, or me - but to - hopefully - sell as many copies as possible - to you and me, as well as to the average Joe (which, for better or for worse, there are an awful, awful lot more of than there are of "you"s and "me"s!)...
...and there you are...
Q.E.D.
...slowly rises from his Norwegian, supposedly ergonomic, office chair and, stiff-kneed, hobbles out of the room...
. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks