What's new

R.I.P Walter Becker (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Walter Becker has passed away at the age of 67. Steely Dan is one of my favorites. Any time I'm feeling down or life has me overwhelmed, I don't reach for a drug or a bottle, I reach for an album. Usually Aja or The Royal Scam (possibly the most under-rated album of the 70's).

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-co-founder-dead-at-67-w500956

I'm very fond of the Classic Album series. The one featuring Aja is without doubt the best of the series. I will watch it yet again this afternoon in Walter Beckers honor. He will be missed. RIP.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Albums-Steely-Dan-Aja/dp/6305772649

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I got the news, just a little while ago. Rest In Peace, Mr. Becker. And condolences to Donald Fagen, and friends and family.

Considering the vast number of musical groups that exist and have existed through the years, their (Becker and Fagen and the talented artists who worked with them) ability to create a distinctive signature sound is no small accomplishment. Easily one of my top five groups / artists of all time. I don't think there is a single bad recording either in terms of content or presentation in the entirety of their catalog. I can listen to any track off of any album at any time. Aja is certainly one of my favorite albums, as well.

Another musical luminary has passed. It's a shame.

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My dad dragged me, kicking and screaming, to my first Steely Dan concert about twenty years ago. By the time it was over, I was the one begging to see them again. No one could make something as precise and wonderfully controlled as they could, layers upon layers upon layers that expand as they hit your ear. There's nothing quite like it anywhere else. Walter Becker, you will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks