What's new

Quiz Show--Are we getting a SE any time soon? (1 Viewer)

DanFe

Second Unit
Quiz Show is a great movie and it would be nice to see an SE of it available soon. Anyone know?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I caved and bought a used copy of the current junky release for $5.

Haven't watched it yet.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
If there is, I remember GMA had an interview with the man behind the PYL scandal, Michael Larsen (and possibly other game show legends). If this was a bonus feature, I'd certainly buy it.

Unfortunately this may never be a priority title for Buena Vista--I think it's always been considered a financial underachiever with "no stars" but damn if it isn't a god movie (with a horrible release). A real catch-22: I boycotted buying it because it's gotten such horrible marks as a disc, but by our not buying it, the film continues to languish as a minor catalog title. Argh!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it will get a special edition. Redford isn't known for deluxe DVDs, or even commentaries. Without him, nothing can be done.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I always used to wonder what people were talking about when they mentioned edge enhancement, crappy transfers and other DVD problems.

I own about 400 DVDs, have probably rented just as many, and was usually pretty satisfied with things. Sometimes the picture wasn't great and the colors weren't quite right, but it wasn't bad. Not until I bought "Quiz Show" did it finally "click" about what people were talking about.

The DVD presentation looks like a copy of a copy of a really lousy VHS tape. It's virtually unwatchable.

Trust me, if you're a member of this forum, read people's reviews and opinions of something before you buy it. This DVD is by far the worst I've ever seen, especially for being a fairly recent film. If this were from the 50s I might cut it some slack, but it's from the early 90s and there is no excuse for the pathetic quality of the DVD.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I had a similar experience with 'Rocketeer'.

I thought: 'It can't be as bad as people are saying..."

But it really is...

I have used copies of both movies now, only watched a few minutes of 'Rocketeer' and none of 'Quiz Show' yet.

Guess I shouldn't have bought either, but they're both such great movies.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Well, despite the bad quality that people seem to be talking about, I've never seen this movie before and went for a blind buy today, because it's part of Best Buy's "3 for $20" sale. If you're on the fence about this title, you may want to pick it up this week, because an SE seems unlikely.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I've held off on buying this on the outside chance of another, better release. I've got a decent widesceen VHS copy that sounds like it may be better than the current DVD. It's one of the last VHS movies I still care to hold onto...

JiM T

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I wouldn't necessarily count out a re-release. It might not be an SE, but BV has been re-releasing a lot of catalog titles this year with new transfers, including the Ralph Fiennes starring English Patient. Also, consider Rounders, Cop Land, The Black Hole-all have gotten new 16x9 transfers. I know there are more. I'm hoping they do this soon-easily one of the most entertaining movies of the 90's.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Didn't know there was a WS version on VHS...

I remember people saying that the 'Flirting with Disaster' tape had better A/V than the DVD.

Held off getting the DVD till it was $5.

It's a nice little movie and the old DVD wasn't really that bad.

I'd like to get the SE, but I'm not spending $20 on it.

As far as Quiz Show goes, waited till it was $5 as well.

Hope the DVD isn't as horrible as people say...

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Any update to this? Anyone heard anything? Now that Redford is doing his first commentary for "All the President's Men", maybe we'll get an SE of Quiz Show with his second.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
My R2 anamorphic widescreen copy with 5.1 sound is really great. People should be looking into that, I think. No extras, but a wonderful transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks