What's new

Quick review on 1080i scaling Liteon LVD2001 DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Nate Wh

Agent
Brajesh,

Another cool thing about this player is that the ZOOM feature actually appears to "scale" the picture, similar to the Malata N996/520, Panasonic RP91 & JVC players w/the Mediamatics chip.
I think i saw this feature on another dvd player.. so if you have an anamorphic 2:35:1 dvd, and you hit the zoom button you could get the movie to scale to fill a 1:85 ratio screen? Does it work for movies, or just for pictures? I can't rem what kind of player i saw this feature on before, but i thought it was pretty sweet! Sometimes i just want to see the full 1:85 screen filled for a movie, and don't mind losing a bit off the sides..!

I hope this is the feature that you are talking about.. :)

-n8

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
so if you have an anamorphic 2:35:1 dvd, and you hit the zoom button you could get the movie to scale to fill a 1:85 ratio screen? Does it work for movies, or just for pictures?
Yes, you can ZOOM anamorphic 2.35:1 DVDs to fill a 16x9 display. The ZOOM works for DVDs & pictures.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Not all component prog. OPs from DVDPs deliver blacker than black, unfortunately. Wish we could count on that.
OK, the DVD player may not support blacker than black, but if it has a lighter/darker blacks option, it's still using 7.5 and 0 IRE black level respectively. It's just clipping everything below that. On a properly set TV, it doesn't make a spit of difference as you aren't supposed to see 'blacker than black' anyway.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
>>On a properly set TV, it doesn't make a spit of difference as you aren't supposed to see 'blacker than black' anyway.

Wrong!

On Fifth Element near the beginning of the movie, there is a definite difference between a DVDP that does and one that does not, in the detail you will see on the good alien's face as he hulkingly advances down the hallway to the great room, after the professor has been silenced. He is in shadow, and the shadow detail shows his features on one, and does not on the other, no matter where your brightness is set.

This test can be very easily replicated with this scene, but the pluge pattern on VE - and whether you see the left 2 stripes of the 3 or not, with brightness escalated highly, to show all shadow details - is the most simple test for it.

All you need is one DVD player that doesn't, and one that does, then compare those images between the 2.

Mr Bob

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
It seems I spoke too soon on my drive not being noisy. Last night, the drive started making a 'whirring' noise while loading & spinning up a DVD. It doesn't do this all the time, but I'm leaning toward replacing the drive with the LiteOn LTD-166 DVD-ROM drive (only $30 online).

Marc wrote...
Well I replaced the DVD drive with a cheap Liteon LTD166 DVD-ROM drive, and boy what a difference. The drive loads up almost instantly and is quite a bit faster and quieter than the drive that comes with the LVD-2001.
Marc, how easy/difficult is this?

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
It took all of 5 minutes to remove the cover and replace the drive. Just make sure the replacement drive is jumpered like the drive you are removing (master, slave, or cable select) You have to pop the front panel off the dvd drawer(the part with the "dvd" logo) to remove it from the front of the player. Then re-attach this front logo panel to the replacement drive.
The drive may not line up with the screw holes in the bottom of the case, where the old drive was removed. I just put a piece of foam-backed two way tape between the bottom of the drive and the bottom of the case. Re-attach the two cables (power and IDE) and thats about it.

There's one last thing. I found that the tray in the replacement drive didn't quite extend long enough. It may have been where I mounted the drive though. Anyway, cut and fastened a plastic spacer between the front of the replacement drive and the black front panel of the original drive. This may or may not be necessary depending on how you do things.

Anyway, the whole thing was quick and fairly painless, and now I have an LVD 2001 that is nice and quiet and reads practically every disc under the sun. The original drive didn't like certian DVDR media. The replacement reads everything I give it.

Marc.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this on a *different* forum (gasp) last night. For those interested.........

Liteon LVD 2001, Mitsubishi 55805 and JVC N50BK
So about 2 months ago, I bought 4 DVD players from Best Buy to compare on my HT. Mits 6040, Panny S35, Toshiba 3900 and JVC 50BK. Long story short, I picked the JVC for the HT and also kept the Panny for the living room player.

Then along come the LVD 2001...so, dernit, I've got to try that out.

Anyway...I got it today and hooked it up to my Mitz TV. NOTE TO MITZ OWNERS, (of older models at least), if you get one of these 1080i players, you have to hook it up to your HDTV input to see the signal. Little FYI.

Anyway, turned off the Macrovision. Upgraded the firmware. Hooked it up. Ran D. Video Essentials to calibrate best I could. (I also use a pot on the Cr to lower the 'red push'). So now I've got my JVC up and running at 480p and the 2001 on the HDTV input running 1080i simultaneously. Note: I ONLY plan to use this player for Region 1, retail DVD playing. NOTHING ELSE! I start playing the following movies back and forth between the two players. JVC is set to 'film'.

Movie#1: Monsters Inc.
Tie between the two players. No drastically noticable differences. JVC=7, 2001=7.

Movie#2: Gladiator.
Now the 2001 appears a little better. The picture appears overall a bit more 'crisp' with the 2001. Note, the sound is very good...which is extremely important. Currently running 6.1. JVC = 7, 2001 = 8.

Movie#3: Spiderman.
Again...the 2001 appears just a bit better, with a more 'film' like appearance. Others have mentioned about a 10% improvement. I would have to agree with that so far. JVC =6.5, 2001 = 7.

Movie#4: Lion King.
HOLY CRAP!!!!! The 2001 simply BLOWS AWAY the JVC on this one. The colors on the 2001 are just ROCK SOLID. It's actually very very hard to describe accurately. I feel like I'm looking a solid blocks of different colored glossy plastic moving around on my screen vs an 'animated movie'. OK...that's wierd....see.....hard to describe. Anyway...the JVC appears like a 3rd rate toy compared to the 2001. JVC = 6. 2001 = 11 out of 10.

Matrix Reloaded.
JVC=7. 2001=7. 2001 has better clarity, but JVC is slightly better with blacks. However, this may be a calibration thing with the set. Don't know.

Janet Jackson Hawaii Concert.
I only own a few shot-on-video DVD's, but this looked MUCH better on the 2001 than the JVC. I don't think the JVC is very good at video in general. (Note: I set the JVC to 'Video Normal' for this test). JVC=5. 2001=8. There's got to be some room for improvement here, though.

Anyway...also inlcuded was Fifth Element Superbit, Saving Private Ryan, Castaway, SW EII. All the movies appeared just a bit better on the 2001 than the JVC.

Note:
1: The 2001 has an excellent zoom feature...on par with Toshiba. I've seen a few posts commenting that JVC has a good zoom. I currently own 2 JVC players, and both their zooms are GARBAGE (ie: BLURRY!!!!). Just my experience. Of all the brands of DVD players I've owned, the Toshiba's have always been my 'zooming' favorite, and the 2001 is right there with them.

2: I've had no problems with any DVD's playing. No skipping. Good FF/RW/Slow. Did I mention the zoom? Oh yeah...I did. :) I will say that the menus on most of them didn't look so hot, and/or had some flicker. The drive is a bit noisy at loadup/spin-up. I couldn't hear the drive at all during movie play...however my HT cabinet has a glass front....so bare that in mind. Personally I could care less about the Horrible Red Off Light. It's no big deal for me.

3: Before I hooked the 2001 up to the HD input on my Mitz, I tried Ice Age and Monsters Inc on 480p and the standard PrPbPy input (non-HD). The 2001 player's 480p output, as others have mentioned, is VERY soft. The JVC kicked the 2001's *behind* going toe to toe 480p to 480p. I would not buy the 2001 if all I was going to use it for was regular 480p.

In the end, for my personal use, the 2001 is just outstanding. If you've got a HDTV with no DVI in and you're looking for a cheap upgrade for your picture...I think the 2001 is just a fantastic deal.

Cheers all.
John

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Great report, John!

The LVD 2001 has become my main DVD source, taking the place of my HTPC which produces a slightly more detailed picture, but is less convenient to run.

Marc.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
JohnSterling -

FedEx tried to deliver mine today and I was not home. Won't make that mistake tomorrow!

BTW, I can realign your 55805 for completely linear color decoding, so you won't have to use your attenuator anymore. On all inputs.

I can do this for ANYONE with an x5 series - or x3 series - Mit HDready. And virtually any Mit HDready that has the built-in HD tuner, tho the model number might factor in on that one.

Yours was the last year that Mit left the color decoder registers in there across the board, available in the service menu. Fully aligned, a linear color Mit decoder provides just luxurious color.

Mr Bob

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm very tempted to buy this player, but I have two questions:

1. If I have a TV with DVI input, what would you recommend me to buy? The LVD2001 or the Bravo D1?

2. Have any of you compared any of this players to the DENON 1600?

Thanks for you help.

Hugo

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Good review John.............I think I will go with this unit and take a chance on my first DVD player (even though I didn't want one).

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
The Bravo has the DVI out. The 2001 does not. The 2001 sends it's 1080i signal over component out. Of the two...DVI is the better way to go.

I have not personally seen a Bravo...but they are supposed to output an OUTSTANDING picture via the DVI out. However...I have also read a massive amount of messages reguarding how problematic the player is. There are currently a lot of firmware updates and DIY repairs and mods you can do to make the players work for you...however, I would not buy a Bravo myself given their current reputation. MHO.

I have READ reports that the Bravo's DVI output easily out performs the 1600's PS output reguarding clarity and resolution and color.

Mr. Bob,
So...are you offering to help via email...or are you going to fly up here and fix the color on my Mitz yourself???? :)

All,
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've thrown about 25-30 DVD's in the player so far with no problems.

Oh yeah...I got an email from Liteon's support this AM about a question I had last week reguarding my TV. Nice guys. Anyway, for future firmware updates, I requested Manual Film/Video modes, Locking of the Zoom when you navigate through the DVD and the ability to get to the Setup menu without having to 'Stop' the dvd. We'll see if they are interested in listening. Seemed like they are eager to help their users out, though. That was nice.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
>>Mr. Bob,
So...are you offering to help via email...or are you going to fly up here and fix the color on my Mitz yourself????

I'll fly to Nova Scotia as long as my plane flights and my traveltime and expenses are taken care of.

If you do want to fly me in and don't want to pay for all the travel expenses yourself, you always have the option of getting a couple of buds together, all of whose units need calibration - which needs to happen every couple of years, if you truly want to keep getting your money's worth out of your several thousand dollar investment - therefore splitting the travel expenses amongst themselves. Any kind of TV is eligible - new or old, RPTV, FPTV, directview, DLP, LCD, plasma, etc. Older RPTVs can usually be made to look better than new and can therefore be saved from the scrapheap by calibration, and used to fend off needing to buy new for several years, allowing for a new and better product - with newer technology and lots more bells and whistles - at that time rather than now.

No, it would take too long to do it by email. But I do provide a phone consultation service for those who don't want to fly me in. Phone number below.

I have been summoned to New Jersey for just one unit, to Texas 3 times 10 days each, to San Luis Obispo, L.A., Bellevue Washington, Tulsa OK, Phoenix and Tempe Arizona -

Yes, I am ready to travel, and love performing my artistry on the road, and putting big grins on people's faces all over the country -

Mr Bob

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
Marc Carra -

I have heard that the Toshiba 1712 is an even better drive than the LiteOn 166.

Here's something from a guy over at AVS, from a PM. I'm sure he would not mind me sharing it -

"The 166 is actually noisy as well. The 163 in the unit is OK. It only makes small noises during the spin up when you start a DVD. During playback, it is quiet, especially if you put it in an AV cabinet. If you want quiet, use a Toshiba 1712 - during playback, it is super quiet."

Mr Bob

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
LiteOn is in the DVD-ROM field, evidently. On their website, this DVDP is just a small entry in their lineup.

As such, they use their own DVD-ROM in this device, and DVD-ROMs in general are evidently very interchangeable.

Computer guys will know a lot more about that than I will.

Mr Bob

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes my CDRW is a LiteOn.

Bottom line: if the LVD-2001 is more "PC-like" and uses standard connections to the DVD-ROM drive (IDE cable, audio cable, 4-pin power cable) and the drive cage is the proper size, and there aren't firmware restrictions (i.e. it looks for a specific type/model/serial # for the DVD drive) then yes, you should theoretically be able to swap out DVD-ROM drives.

The fact that a few people have already been able to do this seems to indicate that the LVD-2001 does have a PC-like setup.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
Yeah, I'd say with its firmware upgradeability, its internal service menu with onscreen selections and the ability to defeat Regions and Macrovision, and its DVD-ROM drive, it's kinda close...

But not completely. Even the ones with DVI-D and the same chipset - Momitsu, Bravo (and Denon?), from what I've been hearing the pic still doesn't QUITE match up to HTPC.

But is infinitely more user friendly than HTPC -

Mr Bob

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
On Fifth Element near the beginning of the movie, there is a definite difference between a DVDP that does and one that does not, in the detail you will see on the good alien's face as he hulkingly advances down the hallway to the great room....
This is not the proper thread to get into this, but this just is not correct. If the DVD player and TV are 'sympatico' with each other in terms of black level, then you will see the exact same thing whether the DVD player supports PLUGE or not. There might be 'blacker than black' information encoded on the DVD, but you are not supposed to see it, even if it's technically there!

Take a DVD player that supports PLUGE and one that does not. Set both to either 'lighter' or 'blacker' blacks and run the same Brightness test pattern on either DVD player to set the Brightness control correctly on the TV. Now run your test with Fifth Element and you'll see there is no difference.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
The Liteon 166 drive I used as a replacement is much quieter than the original drive, to me anyway. I'm sitting six feet away and can't hear it running.

As for any DVD-ROM drive working with the 2001, that would not be true. I tried a Toshiba drive and an LG , and both did not work.

Marc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks