What's new

Quick release of South Park seasons 2 & 3 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Hope they're not counting the sales of season 1 as a level of 'consumer demand', since I already bought the first discs and didn't buy the season 1 set since I already have all the episodes on it. I'll start buying them when they have 'new' episodes on them though.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I'll only buy if Warner grows up and lets Matt and Trey record commentaries and don't tamper with them

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Warner better not screw 2 and 3 up like they did with 1. When something as basic as chapter stops (esp. after the introductions) is missing, you know someones not doing something right.
JQ

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Very good news. I'm glad I don't have to wait 8 months like I do with The Simpsons (Anybody share my doubts that we won't finish the collection by the time the next format hits?)

Dean

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I can't wait. Season 3 with Mr.Hankey's Christmas classics can't come fast enough.

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
Did the original Rhino discs end at the end of Season 2 or was it midseason?

Anybody remember?

Thanks.

Lafe F

Second Unit
The Rhino discs started getting into Season 2 - about halfway IIRC.

I wonder if "Not Without My Anus" will be included on the WB Season 2 set?

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC - if I remember correctly.

"Not Without My Anus" is episode #201, and it appeared on Volume 4 of the Rhino releases. Even though it was a "Fake-out" episode, it's an official one, and should be there. The running joke during the intros is that every episode of South Park is Matt and Trey's (and well, old Scratch here) favorite episode. But NWMA was Matt and Trey's REAL favorite (up until their new favorites, "Cripple Fight" and "It Hits The Fan"), so if Warner forgets to include that episode, then it will REALLY hit the fan.

One question to ask is, will Matt and Trey even bother to do commentaries, or be asked to do so, because of what happened the last time?

And another: will Warner finally have better video transfers? I have an SVCD copy of the fifth anniversary special from satellite and the video quality of the episodes shown there far exceeded any South Park DVD released thusfar. They can do WAY better than the first season DVDs.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well MWMA is included in the other region box set (Each disc is region 2/3/4 and 5! - Released through Warner Vision International BTW) so I expect it to be on the R1 version.
However I would not expect commentaries. Even if the whole fiasco over season 1 had not taken place, I think it would be asking too much for Trey and Matt to comment on every single episode of South Park.
I always assumed that the commentaries (when first announced) would only be for Season 1 anyway.

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
I always assumed that the commentaries (when first announced) would only be for Season 1 anyway.
That's a very strange assumption. I would assume whatever they did for season 1 would also be done for following seasons plus any additional materials that are available for that particular season. Is there any instance of commentaries on a season 1 of a series, then none on following seasons? I can't imagine there is.

James Reader

Screenwriter
That's a very strange assumption. I would assume whatever they did for season 1 would also be done for following seasons plus any additional materials that are available for that particular season. Is there any instance of commentaries on a season 1 of a series, then none on following seasons? I can't imagine there is.
Much as I enjoy them, I expect the Simpsons and Futurama ones will soon stop. There's only so much you can say about each series after all, and some on the Futurama series 2 set are surprisingly brief and pointless, with the team mostly laughing at the show. (But I still love them)

There's not many series where they do have commentaries on every episode - only the Simpsons, Futurama and Mr.Show spring to mind, and Mr. Show doesn't have that many episodes anyhow. Trey and Matt would have had more to say on the first season, as they could explain about creating the show and characters. What do you expect them to be saying when season 4 of South Park is released? Will they have anything to say?

Others only have one to three commentaries spread over the season, and I would assume these to continue throughout the series' life (such as X-Files)

Should they have something they want to say about an episode, sure release that episode with a commentary, but I think it is unrealistic to expect commentaries for all episodes (unless they go down the path of 'in character' commentaries).

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
South Park has a bizarre look at society, and usually has a significant message, so a commentary on a few episodes each season would be nice.

Simpsons is mostly pop culture references and such, and I can't imagine listening to a commentary for 300+ episodes...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matt and Trey could always just use a different kind of alchohol for each commentary :)
"Now this is a glorious 12 year old scotch which should get us hammered really quickly...."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks